• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Best way to store master photo files and LR catalog in the cloud...Without using the Adobe system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCW

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 8
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I know this topic gets old, but I can't seem to find a single good answer.

Is there any reason why my master photo files and my LR catalog can't be stored on a non-Adobe cloud service, like iCloud, OneDrive, Dropbox or something similar? Personally I prefer Sync.com. I'm getting tired of schlepping an external drive around all the time, and while it is backed up in a few places so I don't really worry about doomsday drive crashes, it still makes me nervous.

Adobe only offers 1TB of storage, at $10/month, while my sync.com account has plans up to 10TB for WAY cheaper on a per unit basis. (10tb is only $180/year, per user, with minimum of two users.) My master folder is almost 1TB already, and I expect it will increase by several hundred GB's very soon due the volume of photos I generate, not to mention how big .tif files get.

No, there is no reason why you could not do that.

BTW, Adobe does not only offer 1 TB. You can increase this to a maximum of 10 TB.

Thanks. You're right. I have just learned something new. When I looked yesterday, it maxed out at 1TB, but after reading your post I went in through another avenue and found the "up to 10TB" plan. With a Creative Cloud subscription, 10TB is $1,320/year. Back out the CC software subscription cost of $10/month and the storage alone is $1200. I don't need that much storage but it doesn't scale down to any advantage. :confused:

Thanks. You're right. I have just learned something new. When I looked yesterday, it maxed out at 1TB, but after reading your post I went in through another avenue and found the "up to 10TB" plan. With a Creative Cloud subscription, 10TB is $1,320/year. Back out the CC software subscription cost of $10/month and the storage alone is $1200. I don't need that much storage but it doesn't scale down to any advantage. :confused:
For $1200, I can buy a pretty powerful NAS storage unit. Or, for $5/month (at least in the US), I can get unlimited cloud backup here: Backblaze Cloud Backup

Phil Burton

True, but you can’t access individual files from Backblaze. It’s great disaster backup, but it doesn’t sync anything. And my experience with NAS drives is that they’re very clumsy for basic access, especially remotely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back