Best way to prepare custom cropped images for consumer processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcary

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Often I crop images in Lightroom that do not conform to the 3 X 2 aspect ratio of consumer printers like Costco. One way I have done it is to use Photoshop and adjust the Canvas size to conform to the 3 X 2 aspect ratio. Example:

The image exported out of Lightroom has a 3600 X 2883 pixel size. I multiple the 2883 by 1.5 to get a width for the canvas of 4325.

Is there a way to automate the process or make it easier?

Many thanks...

Todd

While I have not use Costco, There is no reason to Adjust the canvas size or to use Photoshop. You simply need to instruct the Photo printer to MOT crop the image. When printed, the image will fall inside the 3:2 paper and there will be a white margin in the long dimension of the paper.

I need to check with Costco, however I do not believe they have that option (been using them for 15 years).

Greatly appreciate your response...

\rtc

Cletus is suggesting that Costco should print with a "Zoom to FIT" option. ie. your image of any dimension will fit on the paper.

If you have a 'home' printer installed that is capable of Borderless printing- there is an easy workaround to export your 'odd ratio' photos to the 6x4in ratio using only Lightroom, and the exported JPGS have any needed white margin- A summary follows:

1. Define a 6x4inch paper in the Print module [Page Setup] for borderless printing
2. Remove any check mark from [Zoom to Fill] in the Image Settings panel
3. Set Margins to 'zero' and Cell Size to 'Maximum' in the Layout panel
4. Set the [Print to:] option in the Print Job panel to "JPEG File: "
5. Click the [Print to File...] button. (Save to a USB stick for Costco, or a Folder to upload)

You will now have your photos 'exported' as JPGs that are 6x4in in size that Costco can print in their default 'Zoom to FILL' method.
ScreenShot187.jpg

Is there a way to automate the process or make it easier?
I am assuming that your camera's native format is not 3:2, otherwise this would not be an issue. Is there any chance that your camera supports a 3:2 crop format? I know a lot of m4/3rd's cameras offer this option. It would streamline your workflow if it was available.

--Ken

I'd just create the crop ratio I wanted in the Develop module and apply it to a virtual copy of the image. Then export the virtual copy as a jpeg and send it off for printing. That's simplifying it a bit. You'd still need to center the image in the crop, but many common ratios are defined and you can create your own custom ones too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back