Best way to convert various RAW files to JPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbx33

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I need to convert a bunch of RAW files of various kinds to JPGs. I would like to do it in bulk, if that's possible. Found various methods via Google but thought I'd ask here before selecting one over another. Thanks for any help--

fb

LightRoom is a good solution for you.
How many is a "bunch"?
What are you going to do with the jpegs?
You do realize that a RAW file should be processed - hence the name RAW.
I basically do this all the time. I process a RAW file in LR Classic, then "export" it as a jpeg. I select the size of a jpeg file that I want based on what I will use the jpeg for.
In LR, you can go a long ways with just the Library Module. Select the files you want to process. Under Quick Develop, select the appropriate White Balance, then hit "Auto". With the latest LR, this will get you quite close.
If you want more, go to the develop module, be sure Auto Sync is on, then give the 1st photo some sharpening and some noise reduction.
Then, go to "Export" and export them all as jpegs.

Now for me, I tend to do this one file at a time. I first rate them, select the ones i want to process, then I process them all individually in the Develop module.. Depending on what I will do with them, I export them after I am finished developing.

I need to convert a bunch of RAW files of various kinds to JPGs. I would like to do it in bulk, if that's possible.
There are many options. Which is best for you depends on what you actually want/need to do and if you are likely to have an on-going need or just one off.

While you could do this in Adobe Photoshop or Bridge, I find that Lightroom makes it much easier. I second Jimmsp's suggestions.

I can only tell you this. I used shoot events. Paid and charities. I still a charity now and then. PP was a nightmare until I got LR for mass edits. My wife said there was hardly any cussing coming out of the digital darkroom after I started using it.

You asked on the LR forums so I'll promote it. Adobe improved Auto Tone with the LR7.1 update. Called Sensei it is very usable now.

If you want speed things up I use the Default Default Settings to auto apply the colour profile and lens corrections at import. I then apply Auto Tone. For my personal work I still edit and fine tune but for quick import to export work it is very handy.

I also use two plugins to speed up the process if I need to. One lets me control Sensei so I can fine tune it to taste. The other lets you enter ISO and NR ranges and to makes logarithmic NR adjustments for each ISO. I just started to use the second one and now can use any ISO value and I can shoot Auto ISO if I want to. Something I couldn't do before. Including NR in the Default Develop settings was too complex when including all ISO values .

Just to clarify.

I used to shoot at 1/1 = full stop increments. 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 and so on.

I will now be shooting at 1/ 3 = one third stop increments. 100, 125, 160, 200, 250, 320, 400 and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back