Status
Not open for further replies.

guido.coza

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Hi all and a awesome 2017 to come
I have all my pics on a mobile drive and lightroom installed on 3 different computer. The question is,: if I want to show a buddy of mine some pics and the changes I have done to it but do not want to haul my laptop around, which would be the best file format, if there is such a thing, to have all the metadata changes stored with the picture file? I find the XMP option hugely confusing, as if I open a folder in "finder > preview" I have all the extra XMP files showing and the file count is not equal to the pics, which is confusing if I want to check if all the files I hope to be in the folder are really there, if that makes sense

A few choices:
  • Turn on write meta-data to the files and convert all images to DNG, then be sure to update previews in the DNG files.
  • Use a publish service and publish JPEG images and view these.
  • Manually export the images, and maintain the exported directory

Tim

Hi all and a awesome 2017 to come
I have all my pics on a mobile drive and lightroom installed on 3 different computer. The question is,: if I want to show a buddy of mine some pics and the changes I have done to it but do not want to haul my laptop around, which would be the best file format, if there is such a thing, to have all the metadata changes stored with the picture file? I find the XMP option hugely confusing, as if I open a folder in "finder > preview" I have all the extra XMP files showing and the file count is not equal to the pics, which is confusing if I want to check if all the files I hope to be in the folder are really there, if that makes sense

XMP files contain the edits in a way that only Adobe applications understand, so if you use 'Finder - Preview' those edits are ignored and you'll see the original file. The best (only) way is to export/publish the images as jpeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back