Best Use for 2nd Monitor with LR2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
OK, I'm back. I had to take a break from LR as my old P4 3.' computer wasn't keeping up with the Adjustment brush, so I obsessed, researched, and build a new computer--Q945', 8GB x64.

So, now, it's time to pick up where I left off.

I have two 19" CRT monitors, what is their best use for LR2? I used to stretch the develop tools to the 2nd monitor to give more real estate on my primary monitor. But I'm open to new ideas and to listen to others' experiences.

Thanks,

Reid

pjamedia

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
LR2 doesn't simply use the 2nd monitor for stretching and dragging tool panels over as PS or other apps do - it's designed so you can switch on/off the use of the second monitor. When turned on, the 2nd monitor displays its own dialog which can be switched between different display modes (loupe, grid etc). Personally I leave this on the grid display to show all the thumbnail images and my main monitor displays the image in Loupe mode for the develop module. I'd definitely recommend giving it a go! I would hate to have the 2nd display functionality removed as I'm so used to it now.

PJA

ernie

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Reid, that's exactly how I do it. I stretch the main window so just the right panel shows on the second monitor and then open up the grid from library on the second also.
I'm just about to order a new system also, almost identicle to what you spec. How does your new one work with LR. How long does it take to render the image when you open it in develop. My current system takes 8-9 seconds per image.

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Egd5,

When I'm in the Develop mod, jumping from image to image, when it says, "loading" it takes about a count to 2.

If you want to know more about when components I picked, let me know.

Reid

achrysos

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I use my primary monitor (beautiful 24" iMac screen) to do all my Develop work and keep the 2nd monitor (which isn't color calibrated) to display a grid of the folder/collection that I'm working on. This seems to be the most effective set up for me.

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125'65

GIGABYTE GV-NX85T512HP GeForce 85'' GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

I'm not a gamer so I didn't want anything really high end. I wanted a quiet computer, so I wanted a GPU without a fan. Looks like the card was recently cancelled, but you get the idea.

Reid

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
So it looks like the way to toggle the grid mode on the 2nd monitor is F11? Any other shortcuts or better way to access the grid and develop mods?

Thanks,

Reid

H

hmcconnell

Switching the Main window to the second monitor?

Do you guys know if there is a way to switch the main window over to the second monitor? I use a 15"Macbook Pro (MBP) hooked into a 22" display. I would prefer the main window, with all its toolbars, over on the Big display and the grid on the MBP. Any suggestions? Maybe I am missing something and this would be a dumb move.

Comments? Advice?

Mark Sirota

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Just drag the main window to whichever monitor you prefer -- the second window will automatically jump to the other one.

Remember that to drag the main window, you can't be in fullscreen mode (press F).

Status
Not open for further replies.