• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Book module Best tutorial for LrC books

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobT

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Any suggestions?
I've had a number of attempts at books but given up. Perhaps I expect too much. I probably need to start at coming to grips with the limitations.

My suggestion - choose one of the following:

1. Ask lots of questions here and wait until Rob Cullen answers them.

2. Give up and use Blurb's BookWright software.

I've chosen option 2 :laugh:

More seriously, have you checked out Julieanne Kost's video tutorials? See her page here https://jkost.com/blog/lightroom-training-videos for some links.

Have you considered videos instead of books if you have had no luck?

--Ken
Okay, I totally misread the title and question, and completely missed the Book Module tag in my post above. o_O My apologies @BobT . I assumed that you were asking about books to learn from, not books to create and show off images. Please ignore my post above and remind me not to moderate during breaks while I fill out my income tax returns.

--Ken

Okay, I totally misread the title and question, and completely missed the Book Module tag in my post above. o_O My apologies @BobT . I assumed that you were asking about books to learn from, not books to create and show off images. Please ignore my post above and remind me not to moderate during breaks while I fill out my income tax returns.

--Ken
No probs. Partly my fault. The title was, "Best tutorial for books". I then added "LrC" which may have made it ambiguous :)

My suggestion - choose one of the following:

1. Ask lots of questions here and wait until Rob Cullen answers them.

2. Give up and use Blurb's BookWright software.

I've chosen option 2 :laugh:

More seriously, have you checked out Julieanne Kost's video tutorials? See her page here https://jkost.com/blog/lightroom-training-videos for some links.
Option 2, sounds good. After all, it's got to be via LrC or nothing. I definitely check out that link.

Having done dozens of books through Lightroom, I don't recommend option 2. My advice: try things, ask questions.

There’s a full chapter in my Missing FAQ ebook on the Book Module.

@prbimages - Thanks for the mention, but I would defer to @johnbeardy as the 'real' expert ( I have several of his books!)
Perhaps a few web links might assist @BobT with his quest.
BOOK MAKING
Book Module - Pretty Presets for Lightroom
How to Make a Photo Book
BOOK NEW CELL PLACEMENT OPTIONS AUG 2018 (Laura Shoe video)

I find the ease of using the LrC Book module outweighs the need to Export images to my hard-drive then upload them to Blurb Bookwright.
With Bookwright it is- Edit Book> Export photos > Upload > design online.
With LrC it is- Edit Book > Send to Blurb.

Blushing :shame:

I find the ease of using the LrC Book module outweighs the need to Export images to my hard-drive then upload them to Blurb Bookwright.
That's precisely my view. As you prepare a book, how often do you notice aspects of images that you'll want to change? I'd contend that it happens a lot and that the book preparation process inevitably involves a lot of back forth. Doing it all in LR makes this trivial. Sure, I can set up a Publish service to supply images for a 3rd party app and to manage the changes, but it means separate copies of photos (esp raws) and I'm constrained to a rather linear workflow.

A second thought is that it helps to do a lot of playing earlier. So I like to shortlist photos with a collection in Library, use stacking to group them into chapters or sections which I may reorder simply as stacks (rather than having to select photos x-y) . Doing this organisation and narrowing down the shortlist in Library seems more effective than in Book where you're going to be distracted by laying out the pages.

Lastly, Book's features have come on a lot and there's a lot more freedom about how you lay out photos. Rather than jump straight to a third party app, shouldn't you at least try to do it in LrC Book (and ask questions) until you're sure it really can't do what you want?

Blushing :shame:

That's precisely my view. As you prepare a book, how often do you notice aspects of images that you'll want to change? I'd contend that it happens a lot and that the book preparation process inevitably involves a lot of back forth. Doing it all in LR makes this trivial. Sure, I can set up a Publish service to supply images for a 3rd party app and to manage the changes, but it means separate copies of photos (esp raws) and I'm constrained to a rather linear workflow.

A second thought is that it helps to do a lot of playing earlier. So I like to shortlist photos with a collection in Library, use stacking to group them into chapters or sections which I may reorder simply as stacks (rather than having to select photos x-y) . Doing this organisation and narrowing down the shortlist in Library seems more effective than in Book where you're going to be distracted by laying out the pages.

Lastly, Book's features have come on a lot and there's a lot more freedom about how you lay out photos. Rather than jump straight to a third party app, shouldn't you at least try to do it in LrC Book (and ask questions) until you're sure it really can't do what you want?
The books I'm thinking of will be essentially geological, a fairly simple layout but typically with a paragraph or two of family history on each image.

There’s a full chapter in my Missing FAQ ebook on the Book Module.
That's pretty well an offer I can't refuse now. Curiously, it was already in my shopping cart from some time back, so I hit the button. It's now in my Kindle.

Have fun reading!

Thanks @prbimages for the link- another good tutorial from Julianne.
For 'beginners' though I think she missed including the one most important point- ie. Having created a 'Saved Book' Collection (with the book icon) any future re-opening and editing of the book MUST be done from the saved Book Collection, and NOT the standard Collection.
Re-open a Book Collection by [Double-click] on the Book Collection, or [Click] on the white arrow that appears when the cursor hovers on the Book Collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back