Best practices/standard process for SDR Rendition Settings?

ml_lrcl

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 14 Sonoma
I'm wondering if anyone has any best practices for creating the SDR Rendition of an HDR image. Specifically, what slider order do you tend to adjust initially? I have typically found that I get the best results from starting with Whites, then highlight/shadow, usually bringing clarity down, then overall brightness and contrast seems to get me the best starting point to tweak from. My goal is obviously for it to look good, but also replicate the general appearance (which usually means histogram shape, within the SDR boundaries) of the HDR version. Do folks have a specific process?

Yup—I know the overall result doesn't change based on order they are used. I'm asking about the best way to achieve a good/desired result in the same way you'd have typical processes for what to adjust, and in what order, with a standard photo development process. I find that especially if the original HDR has been heavily edited, the SDR rendition often starts way off from an ideal result. I've sometimes had trouble wrangling the SDR rendition into a reasonably similar replication (obviously, a replication within the SDR range).

So, I'm just wondering if people have developed any specific order in which they typically adjust, or process for thinking about getting there, given the more limited range of adjustments available in the SDR rendition section. I usually get to where I want to be, but I often end up with a lot more trial and error than with normal editing.

Yup—I know the overall result doesn't change based on order they are used. I'm asking about the best way to achieve a good/desired result in the same way you'd have typical processes for what to adjust, and in what order, with a standard photo development process. I find that especially if the original HDR has been heavily edited, the SDR rendition often starts way off from an ideal result. I've sometimes had trouble wrangling the SDR rendition into a reasonably similar replication (obviously, a replication within the SDR range).

So, I'm just wondering if people have developed any specific order in which they typically adjust, or process for thinking about getting there, given the more limited range of adjustments available in the SDR rendition section. I usually get to where I want to be, but I often end up with a lot more trial and error than with normal editing.

What I do is the HDR on my HDR monitor to my liking and then in the SDR, I look at the result on a non HDR monitor to see what Adjustment the image might need to improve its SDR appearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What I do is the HDR on my HDR monitor to my liking and then in the SDR, I look at the result on a non HDR monitor to see what Adjustment the image might need to improve its SDR appearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I definitely follow that general process! I've been trying to explore how to easily make the SDR process itself easier once you get there in the overall flow, since the controls are so much more limited. I've just often struggled to get to a place I'm happy with, in a way that I don't struggle with normal develop settings. (I will say I pay attention to the SDR rendition less after realizing that it only affects JPG+gain map output, not AVIFs, and I'm typically using the latter.)

Since originally posting, found a post on this reddit thread that I've found helpful, so just sharing here if it's helpful for anyone! It's not perfect for every image, needs tweaking, depends on what you're doing with HDR in your images, etc, and, there are some additional tips on the thread. The poster uses these basic settings to start with:
  • Brightness 0
  • Contrast 0
  • Clarity -100 (this is the no-op position, any values above -100 add an additional clarity pass to the SDR copy)
  • Highlights 0
  • Shadows -50
  • Whites +50 (just a starting point, you will need to adjust this to manage clipping)
  • Highlight Saturation -100 (season to taste, but -100 is what matches the SDR behavior)
I've found this is generally helpful as a better starting point than everything at zero and going from there.

Back