• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Best practices on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have been struggling with speed with LR for a while. I do need to get my laptop checked out, but it doesn't struggle too badly with other programs. It is in relative terms quite elderly as I'm sure I will be told. Cameras I use are generally 24Mp models
In the meantime I 'm pretty sure I don't have the right setup for the way I want to work.
Because I like to transport my catalog to my office and work on my desktop I have it on a Samsung T5 SSD. But this is also where all my images are. Can you advise a better setup? Perhaps buy a second T5 for my images so that the drive isn't working so hard? How easy is it to move a catalog?
Thanks in advance.
Version 13.
Win 10
2.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-8550U
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-11 221035.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-10-11 221035.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 33
I do not think there is an advantage splitting the images on multiple external ssd's. The port and cable are potential bottlenecks on both laptop and work machine.

You can run a disk i/o test on your drive from both machines and compare performance.

The speed of the main cpu cores, amount of memory and gpu performance (for recent features) have biggest bearing on performance. I installed 64gb of memory and really fast M2 drives. The drives made no noticable diff and sense Lr does not maximise my installed memory. Make sure you have at least 100GB spare space on your system drive.

I use Samsung T7 drives with a Macair when travelling (for Catalog and photos, but it is using a Thunderbolt port and a very high quality cable. No hubs.

In the meantime I 'm pretty sure I don't have the right setup for the way I want to work.
Because I like to transport my catalog to my office and work on my desktop I have it on a Samsung T5 SSD. But this is also where all my images are. Can you advise a better setup?
This is a perfectly fine way of doing things and is what I do when traveling
Perhaps buy a second T5 for my images so that the drive isn't working so hard? How easy is it to move a catalog?
LrC does not perform many read/write operatuions to the image files unless you are moving files/folders around or renaming them - which is something that we should talk about if you are. Also, as your images and catalog are on an SSD, that should not be the bottleneck.

The connection to the SSD may be the bottle neck. Did you imply that it is going through a hub? That could be an issue, especially if it is a passive hub (i.e. does not have its own power cord) and even if it does it could be at an older slower USB level. Also older cables not designed for faster transmissions can slow things down as can older/slower USB ports on the laptop. See what USB level your computer port is and assure that everything from there to the drive is at least USB-3.

1699224340530.png

If you're looking for justification to buy a new beefier laptop, sure go ahead. You have my permission (but not my credit card). But, I'd try making sure that you ar at least on USB-3 connections and cables throughout first. You can also run a simple test. Copy the entire folder which contains the LrC catalog to the internal drive of the laptop and try it out from there. If the speed is the same then it's probably not connection issues to the EHD. If the speed is notably faster then that points to the connections (with the EHD being an SSD I don't think it would be the culprit.

I do not think there is an advantage splitting the images on multiple external ssd's. The port and cable are potential bottlenecks on both laptop and work machine.

You can run a disk i/o test on your drive from both machines and compare performance.

The speed of the main cpu cores, amount of memory and gpu performance (for recent features) have biggest bearing on performance. I installed 64gb of memory and really fast M2 drives. The drives made no noticable diff and sense Lr does not maximise my installed memory. Make sure you have at least 100GB spare space on your system drive.

I use Samsung T7 drives with a Macair when travelling (for Catalog and photos, but it is using a Thunderbolt port and a very high quality cable. No hubs.
I wasn't going to split the images just put the catalog on one drive and the images on another, then the drive wouldn't have to be working so hard. THought I'd heard this somewhere.

I meant .... I see no value in having 2 External solid state drives and splitting catalogs and or photos between such drives. Maybe there is a minor gain to be hand, but once Lr gets a basic i/o speed from the disk there does not seem to be much of a gain. I upgrade my main system Catalog to an M2 drive with something like 5000MB per sec and so little improvement from sata spinning disks. I am sure other apps took advantage, but my main performance focus is Lr.

Getting a second Samsung (or maybe a T7 or a T9) might be worth an experiment as you can always use such a drive for backups.

I use a tool called Passmark to check disk i/o performance. A friend spent hundreds of dollars on a solid state 1TB drive when travelling. It looked like a Samsung. But when I tested it with Passmark I discovered it had a through but of a something like 10mbps. Tiny. It was a cheap sd card inside a pretty aluminium black box.

Always worth testing actual speed of external devices. That is why I bought Passmark.

This is a perfectly fine way of doing things and is what I do when traveling

LrC does not perform many read/write operatuions to the image files unless you are moving files/folders around or renaming them - which is something that we should talk about if you are. Also, as your images and catalog are on an SSD, that should not be the bottleneck.

The connection to the SSD may be the bottle neck. Did you imply that it is going through a hub? That could be an issue, especially if it is a passive hub (i.e. does not have its own power cord) and even if it does it could be at an older slower USB level. Also older cables not designed for faster transmissions can slow things down as can older/slower USB ports on the laptop. See what USB level your computer port is and assure that everything from there to the drive is at least USB-3.

View attachment 22016

If you're looking for justification to buy a new beefier laptop, sure go ahead. You have my permission (but not my credit card). But, I'd try making sure that you ar at least on USB-3 connections and cables throughout first. You can also run a simple test. Copy the entire folder which contains the LrC catalog to the internal drive of the laptop and try it out from there. If the speed is the same then it's probably not connection issues to the EHD. If the speed is notably faster then that points to the connections (with the EHD being an SSD I don't think it would be the culprit.

Ahhh so maybe I've been a bit dumb. I have started to use a Kingston Nucleum hub - I heard they were great. So there are a couple of USB-C ports there and I've been connecting it using one (though I think one is just for power only). I gave the setup a quick try nit using the hub and I think it was a bit quicker. I'll do some more testing in a day or so.
The problem happens mostly when doing cloning and the thing lags terribly with the mouse or pen - so much so that it sort of freezes then when it catches up I find the area drawn has zipped all over the screen!
The cable used is the one suppied with the Samsung T5.

I wasn't going to split the images just put the catalog on one drive and the images on another, then the drive wouldn't have to be working so hard. THought I'd heard this somewhere.

That can be true if using a hard drive, because those are slow and limited. But SSDs are so fast that if you’re using one of those, putting images and catalog on it together is much less of a concern, and that concern drops further as the SSD speed goes up. Splitting across SSDs might help for older SATA SSDs that can’t go faster than 500–600 megabytes per second, but the T7 is recent and claims to support up to 1050MB/sec over 10Gb/sec USB 3, so I wouldn't worry about putting everything on it, for photo editing.

(Doing intensive 4K+ video editing with effects and pro codecs might be a case where you would split across drives, even with a T7.)

Looking at the laptop specs, I would guess that the old CPU might contribute to lag because the Intel Core i7-8550U was released 6 years ago and has only 4 cores; CPUs today have many more. Also, it doesn’t say how much memory is on board, but if it’s under 16GB then it would be under the Recommended amount for Lightroom Classic. And it also doesn’t say what graphics hardware and how much graphics memory it has, but if it’s Intel integrated graphics only (instead of a discrete GPU) that might hold it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back