• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Benefits of upgrading from 7th or 8th Gen i7 to a new i7 13th gen PC when using LR

Status
Not open for further replies.

AusKen

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 13.2 [ 202402141005-bf1aeb84 ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I would appreciate some advice regarding upgrading to a new PC compared with my computers with 7th and 8th gen i7 processors.

I have a desktop PC running Windows 10 with an i7-8700 @ 3.20 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6GB purchased in Jan 2019 and upgraded from 32GB to 64GB RAM a few months ago.

I also use a Dell XPS 15 9560 with 7th Gen i7-7700HQ (6M cache, up to 3.8GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 with 4GB GDDR5, purchased in Feb 2018. I mainly use this when travelling to import photos each day and add to a LR catalogue. This can't be upgraded to Windows 11 as it has to be at least an 8th Gen i7.

With the desktop PC LR Classic runs at a good speed but after using it for a few hours I find that it slows down and I have to re-boot the PC for it to return to normal speed.

I have looked at a new Dell XPS 15 with a 2023 i7-13700H (24MB cache, 14 cores, up to 5.00 GHz Turbo), 32GB RAM, with a choice of GeForce RTX4050 with 6GB GDDR6, RTX4060 with 8GB GDDR6 or RTX4070 with 8GB GDDR6.

Am I likely to notice a big performance improvement if I purchase one of these Dell XPS 15 with the 13th Gen i7 processor compared with what I am using now? As well as photo editing I want to start doing some video editing too. I am thinking that I could connect the two external monitors that I currently use with my desktop PC to the new Dell if I buy it and use that for all my editing at home rather than upgrading my desktop PC. If I decide to go for this one how much difference is there likely to be with the RTX4050, 4060 or 4070? Dell have just released a new range of XPS PCs in 14" and 16" size replacing the 15" and 17" sizes so the 15" ones I am looking at are cheaper than they used to be. The 2023 ones I am looking at allow you to add an additional SSD and also replace RAM but it appears that the new 2024 redesigned 14" and 16" models do not allow you to replace RAM or add another SSD.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

I would appreciate some advice regarding upgrading to a new PC compared with my computers with 7th and 8th gen i7 processors.

I have a desktop PC running Windows 10 with an i7-8700 @ 3.20 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 6GB purchased in Jan 2019 and upgraded from 32GB to 64GB RAM a few months ago.

I also use a Dell XPS 15 9560 with 7th Gen i7-7700HQ (6M cache, up to 3.8GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 with 4GB GDDR5, purchased in Feb 2018. I mainly use this when travelling to import photos each day and add to a LR catalogue. This can't be upgraded to Windows 11 as it has to be at least an 8th Gen i7.

With the desktop PC LR Classic runs at a good speed but after using it for a few hours I find that it slows down and I have to re-boot the PC for it to return to normal speed.

I have looked at a new Dell XPS 15 with a 2023 i7-13700H (24MB cache, 14 cores, up to 5.00 GHz Turbo), 32GB RAM, with a choice of GeForce RTX4050 with 6GB GDDR6, RTX4060 with 8GB GDDR6 or RTX4070 with 8GB GDDR6.

Am I likely to notice a big performance improvement if I purchase one of these Dell XPS 15 with the 13th Gen i7 processor compared with what I am using now? As well as photo editing I want to start doing some video editing too. geometry dash scratch is interesting. I am thinking that I could connect the two external monitors that I currently use with my desktop PC to the new Dell if I buy it and use that for all my editing at home rather than upgrading my desktop PC. If I decide to go for this one how much difference is there likely to be with the RTX4050, 4060 or 4070? Dell have just released a new range of XPS PCs in 14" and 16" size replacing the 15" and 17" sizes so the 15" ones I am looking at are cheaper than they used to be. The 2023 ones I am looking at allow you to add an additional SSD and also replace RAM but it appears that the new 2024 redesigned 14" and 16" models do not allow you to replace RAM or add another SSD.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
I think the 13th Gen i7 processors in the new Dell XPS 15 models offer significant performance improvements over the 7th Gen i7-7700HQ in your current laptop. The increased core count and higher clock speeds will enhance multitasking capabilities and overall processing power.

I can't speak for other processes, but for AI Denoise, moving from a GTX to an RTX series GPU, will give a quantum leap improvement in performance.

My experience with upgrading to latest cpu, motherboard, M2 fast drives and loads of fast memory. Disappointment. Did not feel I got the boost I was expecting. Then, after upgrading to Sony A7rv I felt my machine was crawling. Waited and waited for GPU prices to fall into some sort of value for money. Finally upgraded GPU to GTX-4070 Ti.

Life bearable again. Also, for once got my timing right as Adobe released Ai Denoise at the same time.

Cameras keep getting bigger and many people forget that going from a 1k screen to a 4k screen seriously increases the intensity of power needed to render images on screen.

My cpu is now one or two generations behind the curve…. but if I compare the performance stats compared to the latest cpus available I only see a modest increase in relative performance.

Finally, Lr does not take advantage of multiple cores, so more powerful main cores are better. In the AMD world this often means opting for the x000 model rather than the more expensive x050 model.

So, no simple one liners. Complex choices in a market which is ever changing.

As well as photo editing I want to start doing some video editing too
From reading, I think this might be your key and you need to explore the video editing tools and ask on their forums.

Performance is relative to what you need. My 2014 Windows 10 system is a Intel i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 4 Core(s). My Video card is NVidia GTX 1650 with 16GB of memory. Not the fastest, or newest, but for my amateur needs, does the job.

Lr does not take advantage of multiple cores, so more powerful main cores are better.
@Gnits this is the first I've heard of this. Do you have any more background?

I asked because coming from the computer industry, the utilization of cores was something the developer didn't need to necessarily know about because the compiler/OS took care of optimizing the execution stream across multiple cores.

Thanks for any additional info.

I am not an expert on this subject and it is probably a moving target with both hardware and software evolution. At the time, AMD were outperforming Intel. Puget were recommending cpus where the main core was more powerful rather than other more expensive cpus that had more combined core processing capability. The reason was Lr could not take advantage of the multiple cores.

I expect that may have changed and maybe the evolution of GPU processing changes the picture further. I suggest, check Puget Systems and what cpus they currently recommend and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back