• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Before and after not reaching back to the original

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
So early yesterday morning a coyote strolled by in almost dark conditions. I shot at ISO200 to keep noise down
1644607183641.png

In LRC I used the Auto for exposure and white balance and that did OK
Then I cropped in much tighter, reduced noise, and sharpened the coyote.
All those steps are in my History
I wanted to compare the before and after so I hit the YY button, but instead of showing the before it displays the step immediately before, where I removed a branch that was sticking up out of the snow in the near background:
1644607698252.png

Even if I hit the Backslash key, I get the same result.
Have I messed up a setting someplace?

Attachments

• 1644607397280.png
    1644607397280.png
    1 MB · Views: 102
In the History panel you can right-click on any history step for a specific image and choose the option to "Copy History Step Settings to Before", and that will set that specific history step to the one you would see (as the Before image) when you do the Before/After comparison. It's possible that you've inadvertently done that for this image, so try right-clicking on the bottom history step and set that one as the "Before", then try the before/after comparison again (but remember that the "After" image is whatever you currently have selected in the history panel, so to get the correct before and after comparison make sure you have selected the top history step after setting the bottom history step as the "Before" image).

In the History panel you can right-click on any history step for a specific image and choose the option to "Copy History Step Settings to Before", and that will set that specific history step to the one you would see (as the Before image) when you do the Before/After comparison. It's possible that you've inadvertently done that for this image, so try right-clicking on the bottom history step and set that one as the "Before", then try the before/after comparison again (but remember that the "After" image is whatever you currently have selected in the history panel, so to get the correct before and after comparison make sure you have selected the top history step after setting the bottom history step as the "Before" image).
Thanks Jim. That sort of worked. YY now shows the original except that it is cropped to match the final ...even though I went all the way to the import, where the uncropped original was on screen, right clicked that and "Copy H....".
No problem though. I can live with it.

A 'round-about' way of Before/After (that is not cropped) is to make a Virtual Copy. Reset the VC, then use Survey View mode to compare the two versions (Edited & VC) of the image.
1644619547138.png

Before View never shows the crop as then it would not work correctly in the "Split" views of Compare View. You could create an unedited virtual copy as Robert said and then use Reference View in Develop.

Before View never shows the crop as then it would not work correctly in the "Split" views of Compare View. You could create an unedited virtual copy as Robert said and then use Reference View in Develop.
Thanks, but not sure what you mean Bob. The Before View IS showing it cropped the same as the After view.

Sorry for the confusion @jjlad . I meant to say the Before View ALWAYS shows the crop of the After View. This is so when you are using Before/After is Split View than it appears as a split single photo. You couldn't do this if it displayed with different crops. As I said above you can use Reference view with a Virtual copy that has been reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back