Before / After not working correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizzlingbadger

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Has anyone else found that the Before & After views in the Develop module (The \ Key) are not working correctly in Lightroom 3 ? If I make changes to an image and use Before / After it works as expected and toggles between my developed image and the imported settings. If then move to another image and then back to my original image and make more changes it then toggles between the last changes I made and the new changes. The Before image always used to remain as the imported image in Lightroom 2.

To make matters worse I recently re-imported all my images after resetting the develop settings and writing out xmp to fix an issue I had with before / after after re-importing images a while ago. I want my before view to be the imported view, always ! I know this can be set in the History panel but only one image at a time. It looks like I wasted a huge amount of time trying to sort this out only to have LR3 change its behaviour and screw up all my Before images again.

Also the before / after view sometimes shows changes to the crop but not always. I would actually like it to show the crop changes so I can see what my before image really looked like.

The only reliable way to see the before and after images is to reset and then CMD-Z to undo it.

Before/After always has shown a post-crop view, but Lens Corrections are reflected. So if you "crop" in the Lens Corrections panel, this will be reflected in before/after.

As for the apparent bug about forgetting the Before state, I can't recreate this. Can you give me a detailed recipe to follow?

The reasoning for only showing the cropped view in before/after (which I can understand) always was that the change of a development setting might be hard to judge if the crop also changes.

As for the before not being the imported state by default, I also cannot reproduce this on my LR3 WinXP SP3.

Beat

"before" is the imported state by default, its only after adjusting the image more than once that it stops working as it should. The "cropping changes" with lens correction show before and after until you move to another an image and then back again, then it stops working. I'm sure these things will be cleared up in 3.1.

I also understand the reasoning for only showing the cropped view in before/after but it would be nice to have the choice in the options somewhere.

There is no global way to set the before image to the 'default settings' which would be very handy too. This is why I had to re-import from scratch in the first place.

Update: found the issue.... its my memory thats faulty not Lightrooms.

My fault, I was looking at some dng images that were imported from my Laptop which had already been developed during a demo I gave the other day, hence the import state included the changes. I forgot my older images are dng's and have the xmp embedded.

Only the "cropping changes" with lens correction seems to be a bit flakey after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back