• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Be gentle

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonS

Retired newbie?
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
None yet
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
My 2nd post on this site. As I said in my introductory 1st post, I’m recently retired and now have time to invest in photography. I’ve told people for years that I wanted to be a photographer when I grew up. I’m now having some growing pains.

Im new to LR and to my new Mac. I’ve transferred my photos from my PC to the Photos app on the Mac. This is what has me perplexed. Should I organize these random photos into folders now in the Photos app or after I subscribe to LR. I’m doing my best to measure twice, cut once as carpenters do. I have nearly 10,000 photos that are somewhat in order and somewhat out of order.

i have the Missing FAQ book, but want to at least get LR subscribed.

Most of us Mac users here do not use the Photos app.
If you want to print or have little more control over the app, just install the Classic app on the Mac and sync that to the cloud. You can install the Lightroom Mobile app on your mobile devices ant use it to sync mobile photos to the Lightroom Classic

If you are interested in letting Adobe manage your inventory in the cloud you can install Lightroom (cloudy) on the Mac too. It will store all of your images at the Adobe Creative Cloud sit (if you get a subscription with enough online storage ) There is an option with Lightroom (cloudy) to also store an local copy of your image files.

Clee,

I interpreted JonS's question a bit differently. I think he's saying he wants to move from Apple Photos to LR/Classic and wants to know if he should organize in Photos first, then transfer to LR or transfer a somewhat disorganized structure from Photos to LR then organize in LR.

I would organise everything first and then being importing. I have one master catalogue with subfolders by each year. In each year the folders with the files are by event name and date.

i have the Missing FAQ book, but want to at least get LR subscribed.
Hey Jon, welcome to the forum! It doesn't look like we've got your book registered (at least at this email address) so feel free to drop us the registration via the Contact form.

Hey Jon, welcome to the forum! It doesn't look like we've got your book registered (at least at this email address) so feel free to drop us the registration via the Contact form.
Victoria, I sent in my info late last night on my book purchase from Barnes &Noble, which is how I found this helpful site.

Ah great, looks like Paul replied to your message early this morning.

Clee,

I interpreted JonS's question a bit differently. I think he's saying he wants to move from Apple Photos to LR/Classic and wants to know if he should organize in Photos first, then transfer to LR or transfer a somewhat disorganized structure from Photos to LR then organize in LR.
The Photos app hides (or can hide) the originals inside the Library package where they are unavailable to any app including Lightroom.
Lightroom is a DAM tool and it is easily used to organize images file. I should have said that using folders to organize is inefficient and unnecessary. You organize best by creating collections and keywords IN Lightroom.
Since the OP has not subscribed to a Lightroom Plan, using the Photos app or not using the photos app is irrelevant until they decide on which Lightroom app to organize your image inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back