Batch crop copy/paste dev. settings issue "An internal error has occurred: ?:0:.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreasandrews

Lightroom Experience
Power User
**Issue Resolved** Solution posted as reply below

I have recently updated to Lightroom 5.4 and I am attempting to apply a 16:9 crop on a batch of images. I've managed to perform other functions and have many other preset creation actitivities and copying/pasting of settings and functions appear to be working as normal but I'm having one specific issue.

When I attempt to copy a crop which I have set on one image and copy those across to several images the follow error dialogue is brought up:

"An internal error has occurred: ?:0: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value"

I've attempted various things such as applying the crop to only 1 photo. Deselecting and selecting the process version toggle when copy/pasting. I also seem to bring up the same error when saving the crop as part of a preset and applying the preset to a range of images. My end goal is to export a load of images at 16:9 TIFF's to be converted to Quicktime timelapse footage for use in Premiere Pro so this is not such a major issue right now as I can simply make the larger images fit into a 16:9 frame later, but the uncompressed TIFF's will take up a considerable amount more space on my hard drive.

Extraneous information aside, I'm running an i5 processor on Windows 8.1 and I also have LR 4.4 installed. (both installs of LR are 64-bit to match my OS).

I have tried one thing and that is renaming the preferences file found in AppData > Roaming (somewhere) just on the off chance as I've been searching and reading solutions to other similar problems I've been looking for around this issue. This has just been an issue today so far, and I haven't yet tried re-installing Lightroom, in fact I haven't actually restarted my system so I'll do that and report back here if I have any success, but being fairly technical and usually quite methodical in getting to the bottom of problems rather than simply circumventing the issue (which is easily done here via many other cropping methods) I was hoping you lovely guys who I've not interacted with in such a long time could help me (it's been a long lonely day of editing - here's to finding a shining beacon of interwebbed friendliness out there with some super skills and technically lateral thinking or experienced awesome-brain-sauce!)

Cheers.

Last edited:
I can't replicate on the Mac version. Can you list your exist steps please? You can't save crops as part of a preset BTW.

The steps are:

- select an image and then crop to 16:9
- copy settings checking only the process version, and all crop boxes (all crop sub-boxes checked)
- pasting to a single image (seems to work)
- pasting settings to a set of images after a few seconds now (which is different to the initial error immediately popping up) the same error appears (as mentioned earlier)

I hope those steps are clear, however I have done a screen-cast with sound to show the error happening with a bit more background and audio in case that helps (it's just uploading to YouTube now :)

Thanks for such a quick response Victoria! It's great to be back on the Forum, a negative issue leading to a positive reminder of such a great online community :)

[video=youtube_share;M1sprATPOXk]http://youtu.be/M1sprATPOXk[/video]

Last edited:
**Resolved**

Ok I managed to resolve the issue. I had earlier suspected that a video file creeping into the set of images was causing the issue as I knew that videos could not be resized so I very early on used the filter to view just video files. There were no video files, and upon a quick scan I didn't see any. This time round instead I scanned the various metadata attributes and found one suspicious 'unknown file' which was in fact a video file throwing a spanner into the works. I removed the video file from the collection and then successfully performed my batch crop of the processed images ready for another humongous batch export of over 1000 uncompressed 16-bit TIFF's so I can create some lossless timelapse footage to import into Premiere later. :)

I guess it it is strange that the video file was seen as an 'uknown' as often seems to happen from my D5000 and also that the error comes up in the way that it does, alas it was a fairly easy one to fix this time round and I solved my own problem, but I hope this raises some questions or discussion or at the very least makes someone more aware of potential hitches.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions after seeing some of my workflow in action please do comment as I love to take on board constructive criticism.

Great job Andreas!

Thanks Victoria, or should I call you Vic, Vicky or Lightroom Queen? he he he... Maybe I'll just stick to Victoria for now ;)

So, do you think it's worth submitting bug reports for things like this? Are users supposed to just get to grips with the fact that errors about 'arithmetic' are in fact to do with the fact Lightroom won't perform a paste onto non-image files or could this be something worth raising as an issue to the dev teams. I've not gotten into any kind of habit (or ever) submitted any kind of bug report, I seem to be shy of my Adobe account as of yet just being a distant lurker gathering useful solutions for various programs across the CS6 suite... well for now I'll just crack on as I've got a busy workflow but I look forward to engaging, helping and contributing more even when it is contributing to my own problems ha!

LOL Victoria's good! Yes, I'd suggest putting in a bug report as the error message should be more helpful, if nothing else.

LOL Victoria's good! Yes, I'd suggest putting in a bug report as the error message should be more helpful, if nothing else.

I decided to go and submit my first bug report, I was redirected to the Photoshop family community powered support where I submitted the problem and also linked back to here :)

Here's the report: http://gsfn.us/t/4hy5h

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back