• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

batch build previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
hi all.
ive moved my lightroom library over to a new mac and its now building my previews again one by one.
but it only does this if lightroom is open and only build previews for the photos in view.
is there a way to get it to build the previews with all my edits in batch, rather than manually scrolling through each group of photos one by one?

In the Library module, select all your photos, then go to the menu Library > Previews... and select the type of preview you want LR generate for the selected photos.

thanks. I did this overnight and although the previews have been built its still not showing the edits in the grid view.
again it only builds the develop settings / edits when the pictures are in view.
is there any way of making it get all the edits ready to see, rather than having to go through my entire library?

You could try to rename the folder <Catalog name> Previews.lradata (to make it invisible to LR). Then start LR and rebuild all previews as I described above.
If this fix your problem, don't forget to remove the old previws folder !

hi. thanks for this.
ive tried this but it only re-builds the previews, not the thumbnails.
it seems like Lightroom must have the images on the screen, in view if you want to build a thumbnail preview.
missing feature for sure!

Did you go to 'All Photographs' and select all images before you chose the 'Library - Previews' menu? And which submenu did you choose? You must build Standard-sized previews.

Smart previews aren’t previews at all. The name is very misleading. Smart previews are small proxies for your raw files, so you can edit your images even when the originals are offline. ‘Smart proxies’ would have been a much better name.

fixed thanks! :thumbsup:
I was building smart previews.
can you please explain what the difference is and why smart previews don't render thumbnails?
cheers :)

Smart Previews are stored in a separate folder from Regular Previews. Smart Previews are substitute proxy images suitable for making edit adjustments when the master original image is not available. A Smart preview is a quick copy of the unedited original . (Edits do not get applied until the image is viewed in Lightroom). That are useful when the original is stored on a removable EHD and not present when the laptop might be away from home base. Also useful for improving performance in some cases in Develop where a smaller proxy file might be quicker to load in to memory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats exactly what I need so I don't always need to have my external hard drive plugged in.
Now all the thumbnails have been generated / rendered should I have smart previews on?
I just disconnected my hard drive and it seems all the images are still there and available to edit.
Apologies if I'm struggling to see the difference and which ones I need.
If you could explain id really appreciate it.
Cheers! :)

Thats exactly what I need so I don't always need to have my external hard drive plugged in.
Now all the thumbnails have been generated / rendered should I have smart previews on?
I just disconnected my hard drive and it seems all the images are still there and available to edit.
Apologies if I'm struggling to see the difference and which ones I need.
If you could explain id really appreciate it.
Cheers! :)

You will need/want the originals present when you export or want to print to get the best original data to render. Otherwise, Smart previews are fine to work with in every other case.

ok so smart previews allow you to export / print at a lower resolution I assume?
that's the difference between standard sized previews?

Not quite. When you export or print, you want the best original image data. Even if you are going to export/print at a lower resolution. Your Smart preview might be a lossy copy of the original AND it is going to be of a smaller size in pixels (2540) on the long side

To be clear, Smart Previews are only used in Develop, and never used for image viewing/browsing in Library. So if you need to work in Library, you'll need Standard or 1:1 Previews. If you work in Develop you'll need either access to the original file or a Smart Preview of that file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back