Backups

• Thread starter Schroedingers Dog
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Schroedingers Dog

Hi all,

When I perform a backup from within Lightroom, I'm assuming this is only backing up the catalog, not the photos. Is that correct?

I also have Lightroom make a backup to an external hard drive when I import.

Is there anything else I could or should be doing to safeguard my photos and catalogs?

Thanks,
-SD

That's right SD, the backup in LR only backs up the catalog. The main purpose of that backup is to safeguard against database corruption.

Be aware that the backup you're doing on import backs up with the original file names, so if you rename at any point, you'll have a nightmare time trying to match up your backed up originals with your catalog.

Best option is to have your full hard drive backing up - your working original files (which may have been renamed etc) and your catalogs - on an external drive.

Seriously! There's gotta be an easier way to match up renamed archived files?... I'm hoping... I only have a couple of folders that I did that to, but they're good images that I want to have available in my catalog.

Do you have to match up each image? Also, for future reference, would writing to the XML file help with stuff like this at all? I'm totally frustrated with those files that don't match up (all stuff from when I first started using LR).

Victoria Bampton;31' said:
That's right SD, the backup in LR only backs up the catalog. The main purpose of that backup is to safeguard against database corruption.

Be aware that the backup you're doing on import backs up with the original file names, so if you rename at any point, you'll have a nightmare time trying to match up your backed up originals with your catalog.

Best option is to have your full hard drive backing up - your working original files (which may have been renamed etc) and your catalogs - on an external drive.

Yes, if you only have the un-renamed backups, then you most likely will have to match them up individually. There are some weird workarounds, but it makes far more sense to back up your renamed files once you've verified they've imported ok.

Don't rely on the import backup, but back up your working files instead, then you'll have no trouble matching up backups with your catalog.

The import backup literally just copies the original files in case something goes wrong with the import.

If you're looking for a backup solution that takes renamed files, consider Export As Catalog to your backup drive, and tick the 'original negatives' section too. Or just use backup software to back up that hard drive.

I have been testing ImageIngester for moving my images from card to hard drives. I like how I can rename images, create a backup and even convert to DNG, add keywords that apply to the entire batch in one step. Using the methods of naming image files ala Peter Krogh's The DAM Book has simplified the task. If I rename an image, it is only at the request of the client and always on the delivery files not the originals. All my images are named "BMPW_YYMMDD_(Seq No.)" This has smoothed out my workflow quite a bit.

For Mac Backups I use SuperDuper to do fully-bootable images to my backup HDs...

For Windows Backups, I cross my fingers and don't put anything important on Windows. Oh, and I also use Mozy. (mozy.com)

Schroedinger's Dog;3'8 said:
Hi all,

When I perform a backup from within Lightroom, I'm assuming this is only backing up the catalog, not the photos. Is that correct?

I also have Lightroom make a backup to an external hard drive when I import.

Is there anything else I could or should be doing to safeguard my photos and catalogs?

Thanks,
-SD

On my Macs I use D?j? Vu for BAck-ups including bootable ones,

Don

I find rsync a great backup tool on the Mac. You have to run a script to do it, but it uses a special protocol that only backs up the part of a file that has changed.

the thing i don't like about letting clients have files with different file names than i have is then it can become difficult if they're referencing file names that you don't really have, or you have to use the renamed exported jpgs as a key to your systematically renamed raw files...

sorry, but that's one huge unclear sentence! :lol:

ButchM;42' said:
I have been testing ImageIngester for moving my images from card to hard drives. I like how I can rename images, create a backup and even convert to DNG, add keywords that apply to the entire batch in one step. Using the methods of naming image files ala Peter Krogh's The DAM Book has simplified the task. If I rename an image, it is only at the request of the client and always on the delivery files not the originals. All my images are named "BMPW_YYMMDD_(Seq No.)" This has smoothed out my workflow quite a bit.

Boone,

I don't like it either, however, the one client I'm referring to will only accept files with their desired naming structure. They also will not take the time to rename the files themselves. I place my filename in the metadata of the delivery file so I can find it quickly. Fortunately, this client doesn't purchase a great quantity of images, but pays well enough for me to put up with a slight quirk. I've had other commercial clients in the past who rename files upon receipt and made no reference to what I named the files which does also cause problems. Once a file is out of your hands, the client can change the name willy-nilly if they choose.

ButchM

PC backups

I've been using a neat little program (outside of Lightroom) for my back-up chores called Good Sync (goodsync.com). It sure has simplified the process for me.

Well, I am using Silverkeeper.
Very happy with it, simple and effective!

:)

Clicio Barroso;1'96 said:
Well, I am using Silverkeeper.
Very happy with it, simple and effective!

:)
Thanks for that Clicio, I had been thinking about something like this. Have d/l and will run.

I'm using SyncBackSE for backup and it works like a charm. It also gives you the possibility to networked and FTP backups.

I use Super Duper to back up my complete working system to another hard drive so I can be up and running in minutes should my main system go down. I might have a look at some of the other suggestions too.

SuperDuper is great, but it'll only do whole drives, AFAIK. Can't do Folder to FOlder or Drive to Folder like Deja Vu (Mac).
Don

You can get SuperDuper to do parts of drives, but it's a bit more of a hassle.

I like Chronosync myself.

Steve Holmes;5'1 said:
I find rsync a great backup tool on the Mac. You have to run a script to do it, but it uses a special protocol that only backs up the part of a file that has changed.

I second the rsync suggestion. I use Unison (which is based on rsync) to mirror my DNG archive between home and work. Geographic redundancy makes me sleep just a little bit better at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back