• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Peterson

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 7.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have a separate, external hard drive, where I keep my entire catalog. I want to back up my photos to another external hard drive, where I also keep my other data.

If I request that Seagate backup my data, for example, weekly, and ask Lightroom to backup my photos monthly--or daily for that matter--what happens to my photos when they are backed up at a different time as the Seagate software? Does LR send them to my external backup drive--regardless of how frequently I ask Seagate to do its backup?

I hope I have posed this issue clearly. Thank you!

"and ask Lightroom to backup my photos monthly "
First- Lightroom does NOT backup your photos at all, in no way! It does not "send" them anywhere.
The Lightroom backup is the Catalog file only. (xxxxxx.LRCAT)
You must have a system in place to backup your photos, independently of Lightroom, and that might be the Seagate software.
So re-think your backup strategies.
If the Catalog file and the original photos are all on the one external drive, then a Seagate backup that copies the entire drive will include the photos and the catalog.

+1 to the above. LR does not back up photos/RAW files. It only backs up the catalog (which does not contain the photos).

On my Mac I have Time Machine backup up my entire file system 24/7 to a dedicated 8TB drive. That backup covers my boot disk where my Lr catalog resides. It also covers my external data RAID set that contains all my data files and documents including my photos and the backup of the Lr catalog. The next step would be to do complete backups to an offsite location in the cloud or swap backup drives to an offsite location such as a bank safety deposit box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back