• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

backups so slow W 10 laptop hibernates while still running

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Is there a setting that will direct a Windows Laptop to keep running the backups until done? Even with older programs and computers, systems would finish started jobs then allow hibernation but current W10 system isn't doing that and sometimes when I log on and NEED to use LR right away, I can't because the backup hasn't finished.

You can set your hibernation delay to a longer interval. I think with windows, you can set the laptop to go into hibernation only when you close the lid.

Go into your power settings and set it where it never goes to sleep when plugged in. You can allow the screen to turn off, this will not effect the backup. But that is not the only setting that will stop the backup. You also need to go into the advanced settings and make sure the USB ports and the hard drives are not set up to turn off too. These power settings can be utilities installed by the manufacturer of the machine so if you can't figure it out, you may need to check with the support forums for your particular machine.

Go into your power settings and set it where it never goes to sleep when plugged in. You can allow the screen to turn off, this will not effect the backup. But that is not the only setting that will stop the backup. You also need to go into the advanced settings and make sure the USB ports and the hard drives are not set up to turn off too. These power settings can be utilities installed by the manufacturer of the machine so if you can't figure it out, you may need to check with the support forums for your particular machine.
In Windows 10, click on the Start button, then select Settings. In the Settings window, click on the System icon (top left). Then look for Power Settings.

Phil

But returning to the original question, it is strange that it will stop backing up and hibernate. So The time to hibernate is from the last mouse or keyboard action and not from the last computer activity like you would expect.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Right. Previous W lap and desktops I had would stay awake as long as a job was running. I'm sure they wouldn't have dropped that functionality so I'll try the W10 forum.
Thanks all for offering advice.

I have my power settings on Windows to power off the screen after 3 mins and my system after 20. That provides ample time for my Lr backup to complete before it powers off.

I use a 3rd party backup tool to secure my catalog every morning at 6 am, so I am comfortable exiting out of Lr without a backup, most times, if I am in a hurry to do something else.

Time how long Lr takes to back up your catalog and amend your power settings to suit.

$ ll try to reply here but currently trying to run a 32 jpg pano in LR and it has my laptop at 91% of its 12 gigs of ram and my whole system is bogged down because of it.
It has been years since LR could backup my catalogue in 20 minutes. I often takes 1 hour plus. Windows File History on the other hand, updates the back ups in under 5 minutes ...including the LR catalogue.

It has been years since LR could backup my catalogue in 20 minutes. I often takes 1 hour plus. Windows File History on the other hand, updates the back ups in under 5 minutes ...including the LR catalogue.

That's because Lightroom does more than just make a backup. It first verifies the integrity of the catalog, then makes the backup and then optimizes the catalog. If you turn off both extra functions (just to check, don't always turn them off) you'll see that only making a backup is quite fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back