• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalogs Backup on exit hangs - then crawls... 45 mins and counting.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirsty

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LRC 10.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Sorry - accidentally posted this on the wrong version forum
evening!
I’m trying to work out if this is a lightroom issue or a “my elderly computer” issue. since the beginning of December, when I exit lightroom and try to backup with integrity check and optimistation, LR just hangs. I went back to my last successful backup (27 Nov) and opened that, reimporting the 120 or so images added this month - standard previews took forever to build and I have been looking at the backup progress bar for about 40 mins... it hung for ages on “checking catalog integrity” then lurched forwards into ”copying catalog” but seems to have hung again. I have installed the 10.1 update in the hope of bug fixes, but no difference.
I have about 40gb free on my c drive, on a 220gd ssd... running windows 10. The catalogue is on an internal HDD and the catalogue backup is directed to my raid drive, where all my images are stored. (But don’t let that fool you into thinking I know anything about computer set ups!)
does anyone recognise this as a lightroom issue, or is it time to retire my elderly pc and upgrade?
thanks! Kirsty

Updated info.... my task manager informed me that while trying to back up, lightroom was using 15.9 of my 16gb of ram... is this normal? I assume NOT as this is an entirely new problem for me?
any help appreciated - all my work is in lightroom (sob)

Sorry nobody had any suggestions, but I turned off the GPU acceleration (which was on “auto” as LR detected my card would support it) and managed to optimise the catalogue without it crashing, then managed a full back up, so we seem to be back in business - and currently using only about 5gb of the ram.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back