• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Backup creates a ZIP and a backup folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

wearymadness

Lightroom Version Number
LRC v11.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,

I've read a few threads here regarding the merits of switching to backing up as a ZIP file, which I wholeheartedly agree with, but my backups contain a ZIP AND a folder, the folder being the contents of the ZIP. I really do not understand the sense of this. As an average, my backups are 125MB (44MB + 81MB), the 81MB being redundant in my opinion.

Is there a setting I'm missing? Am I doing something wrong?

One other unfortunate side effect of this is that "Backup Cleaner" only deletes the folder (containing the LRCAT file) and not the ZIP - something for the plugin author to rectify.

You are not doing anything wrong and you cannot change anything. Lightroom backs up two items now; the catalog file and the .lrcat-data folder that contains AI generated masks. These two items are packaged inside a zip, and because the zip always has the same name, each zip is stored inside a folder named for the data and time the backup was created.

Hi,

thanks for your response, but I think I may not have explained my situation clearly. This is what the content of my backup folder looks like; a ZIP AND a folder

1641582538340.png

If I open the ZIP it contains a copy of the folder:
The folder
1641582646430.png

The ZIP
1641582633616.png

This is what is confusing me - why the redundency IF the intent was to (partially) reduce space by backing up to a ZIP file?

In all probability you have uncompressed the original zip file, and that creates a new adjacent folder with the now-unzipped contents of the zipped folder. That's standard behaviour when uncompressing a zipped file.

To check, create a new backup then go to the backups folder and you should initially see only one (zipped) file in the time-stamped folder.

Nope, haven't touched them, created 3 today to test and ALL have the folder.

What seems to be happening is that the folder is created to be ZIPPED but not deleted after the ZIP task has been completed - I have opened the backup folder and see the creation of the folder and ZIP happening in real-time.

Maybe time to reinstall LRC, maybe something has gone awry.

BTW, really appreciate your time and speedy response x

Can I confirm that you are using LrC's standard backup on exit process? You mentioned something called "Backup Cleaner" in your first post, what is that?

One other thought....I see your backups folder is inside OneDrive, what happens if you redirect the backup to a non-OneDrive location, such as the Desktop?

Wow! that's very interesting, it was because of me hosting on OneDrive!! Although it's "on" my computer just synced to the cloud! Maybe an issue with permissions?

Thanks for the pointer, I'll investigate and report back :)

So, I managed to get it how I want it, i.e. the backups backed up to the cloud.

I used a "Symbolic Link" in my local drive pointing to the OneDrive, this seems to have sorted my issue of the extra folder!

I have uninstalled the "Backup Cleaner" plugin - it is useful for automatically removing old backups, but hasn't been developed since 2018, so doesn't support the ZIP file approach. Dodged a bullet as the plugin license is up for renewal on 11 Jan.

I used a "Symbolic Link" in my local drive pointing to the OneDrive, this seems to have sorted my issue of the extra folder!
My "Lightroom catalogs" folder is also on OneDrive, with "Always keep on this device" checked, and I just have the zip-files, no extra folders in the "Backups" folder of my catalog.

1641650989726.png

Hmm, also very interesting. Mine too are marked as "Always keep on this device", the folder too.

Anyway, thanks for your help, my solution will have to do for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back