• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Backing Up to External Hard drive to create space on internal hard drive on Mac 11.2.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

photography_5

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
1) Recently I tried to back up my images on a External Hard drive. Which I did 24,000 though finder which I copied over.
When I tried to connect them to my Lightroom library through the external hard drive I got into all sorts of trouble.
Cant find all of my images in my new library I created with external hard drive images. Some I got with Update folder location.
But the more I tried the bigger the mess with loosing images and folders all over the place.

2) The other problem I have is some of my images in the Pictures folder seem to be linked up wrongly (2018-01-13) and I cant see
them in my original library now either.

My original library that I have not touched which is linked to my internal hard drive has now only 12,000 images.

Where do I start to fix this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 5.34.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 5.34.03 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 198
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 5.43.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 5.43.33 PM.png
    450.7 KB · Views: 185
There are two issues that need to be addressed.
1. You do not want to backup your images to an external drove to save space. You want to MOVE the original images to another drive to create space on the Primary drive.

When you do this, the path stored in the Lightroom Catalog will need to be updated. You can do this MOVE by dragging the existing folders to the new volume location in Lightroom Folder panel. If you attempt to move the image files using Finder, the catalog path won't change and the image location will need to be corrected manually in LrC.

2. This is the second issue that you have created. My suggestion is to put the image files back where LrC expects them and there will be no missing images and folders in the Folder panel. After you have no missing images you can begin again to move the master image files to the EHD using one of the two methods I described for Moving your image files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back