• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Backing up photos using external HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

justindavanzo

Lightroom Version Number
Not yet purchased
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hey guys,

I have a question on setting up a lightroom workflow. I have about 500 GB on my external hard drive of photos. I use a macbook air that has a 256gb HD. I would like to use lightroom only when my external HD is plugged in, so no photos are stored on my laptop.

What is the best option for workflow? Id like to store the photos on the hard drive, and keep them backed up to the cloud. Currently I am backing up the external HD to backblaze. But I noticed lightroom has an option to store 1TB of photos to the cloud for 19.99.

Will the adobe cloud option allow me to store the photos on my external hard drive and back them up to the cloud? I dont have the hard drive connected 24/7, its a laptop and is only occasionally connected.

Thanks.

If you purchase a plan that includes Lightroom Classic, you can store your images locally using Lightroom Classic and use Backblaze to back these up. The Lightroom Classic can store images on the EHD.

If you subscribe to a version that includes Lightroom, all of the images are stored in the Adobe cloud and you are permitted to store an un managed copy locally one an EHD if you wish.

Images stored in the Adobe cloud have a limited backup. If you delete an image, you have 60 days to undelete it, otherwise it is gone forever. Both Apps have advantages Lightroom Classic has features not yet implemented in Lightroom. Lightroom is suited for computers with limited storage and a continuous internet connection. There is also a mobile version of Lightroom that has much the same features as the Computer counter part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back