Background processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

35Milly

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
About a week ago my Win10 laptop fan started to constantly run.
I thought it was a program downloading/updating, or something similar but now, a week later it is still whirring away.
I started investigating and it looks like it could be due to Adobe updating processes costantly running.
Please see snapshot of what Resource Monitor shows.
This does not seem correct, what can I do?

Attachments

• Adobe updating.JPG
    Adobe updating.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 538
I've had various adobe processes run amok over the years. Usually if you reboot it will quit. Sometimes I've had to reinstall a product to make it go away. I see a couple complaints about that one in Google, one suggests a recomplete uninstall and reinstall, but I'd start with a reboot.

Adobe runs a LOT of stuff in background, and not all of it is very well behaved, but little of it is persistent in running amok.

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried several reboots after making changes including the disabling both the Adobe services shown at the top of the screenshot.
No better, they keep coming back !!!

Do you mean all Adobe products, it's a very long list !!

About a week ago my Win10 laptop fan started to constantly run.
I thought it was a program downloading/updating, or something similar but now, a week later it is still whirring away.
I started investigating and it looks like it could be due to Adobe updating processes costantly running.
Please see snapshot of what Resource Monitor shows.
This does not seem correct, what can I do?
Your screen shot does not point to an Adobe app being the cause of anything. Your CPU is showing only a 22% load. A fan running might indicate the CPU is overheating. The most likely cause for this is dust accumulating inside and in the exhaust and intake ports. The Disk activity is peaking at max periodically. This will indicate a lot of read writes and could be the whirring noise that you hear. This could be caused by the Swapfile but the Physical memory rarely exceeds 62%.

How Much RAM? How Many Cores? How much free space remains on the primary disk drive? These are questions that could have been answered if you had provided them in the Lightroom Forum User profile on the left. If you do another screen shot, then sorting the processes by CPU load (8% is a trivial amount of CPU being used).

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried several reboots after making changes including the disabling both the Adobe services shown at the top of the screenshot.
No better, they keep coming back !!!

Do you mean all Adobe products, it's a very long list !!
I am not recommending you uninstall anything, I am just quoting some internet wisdom, and if you don't know how much that is worth -- interested in a Bridge? Cheap? (Not the Adobe sort). :D

FWIW here's the note I read about it: What is "Adobe Desktop Service" and w... |Adobe Community

If reboots do not help, following along with Cletus' recommendations, give some more information. I tend to feel any continual (and I'm taking for granted you mean it is continual) CPU usage by Adobe while not running anything in foreground is a sign of a problem, even 8% continual would seem wrong to me, even if not very harmful.

I'd also suggest making sure you are on the latest version of all the adobe products, assuming there is no reason to avoid the latest for you.

Digging into what the process is doing might provide a clue. Procmon and procexp are two tools from sysinternals that might help, but really only if you are reasonably familiar with how windows processes work; they can be a bit overwhelming with info otherwise, and if run too long can crash your system as well with data accumulation.

FWIW I have LR, PS and CC on my system, all current, and that process does not even appear on my processes list, else I might be able to give you more of a clue.

Thanks for replies everyone. Answering points raised.
Cletus:
There are two Adobe exe services using more than 50% of the CPU, but no Adobe program is being run.
I also thought there could be an obstruction in the cooling channels but I don't relish taking it apart, it is thin and flimsy!
It is definitely fan noise.
I have RAM and CPUs listed in my profile, don't know why it doesn't show. 8Gb and 7 Cores.
733 Gb free out of 930Gb on HDD.
? The last screenshot and the latest are ordered by CPU and at more than 50% do seem a lot to me for an 'idle' PC

Linwood:
I understand you were quoting Internet comment, I just was not clear what was being suggested to remove.
I don't understand the Bridge comment, am I being dense?
Yes I agree, CPU usage in the 20s when 'idle' seems wrong.
The only old Adobe product I have is Acrobat 8, I don't feel I use it enough to warrant buying the newer version.

I will look into it a bit more and maybe investigate one of the process tools

Attachments

• Adobe updating 2.JPG
    Adobe updating 2.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 367
  • upload_2016-9-19_23-46-49.png
    upload_2016-9-19_23-46-49.png
    227.4 KB · Views: 533
Linwood:
I understand you were quoting Internet comment, I just was not clear what was being suggested to remove.
I don't understand the Bridge comment, am I being dense?
Yes I agree, CPU usage in the 20s when 'idle' seems wrong.
The only old Adobe product I have is Acrobat 8, I don't feel I use it enough to warrant buying the newer version.

I will look into it a bit more and maybe investigate one of the process tools

Bridge: Sorry, an arcane joke. The idea is someone listening to internet wisdom might "buy the Brooklyn bridge" trying to play off the pun of "Adobe Bridge" as a product and... well, just never mind. My career in Standup Comedy is not shaping up.

In some brief looking around AAM Updates looks like it is the legacy update program, not creative cloud. If you have an old Acrobat, it might be the culprit. Can you find a way to turn off update checks? Something like this?

How to deinstall AAM Update Notifier |Adobe Community

The other is a "Genuiness Checker" to see if your programs are legitimate. Try:

What is AdobeGCClient.exe? |Adobe Community

for a bit of background (ignore the first reply by an Adobe staff member which sends you off to a spam site). And this CLAIMS to get rid of it:

AdobeGCClient |Adobe Community

At first glace it would sound like you have some issue with Adobe's programs that try to figure out what needs to be updated, what is legit, etc. Do you perhaps have any kind of blocks on internet access, firewalls, etc. that might be interacting with Adobe's software? Either on your system or in your network? Maybe consider turning them off and see if it helps (and reboot), obviously being careful what you access while off? A full scan with a separate anti-virus could not hurt either (like MalwareBytes if you don't use it as primary), though I really doubt this is the result of any malware, I think it's just adobe bugs.

Linwood thanks again your advice.
On this side of the pond we have the same joke, "buying Tower Bridge". Two nations separated by a common language!

I had already turned off the update switch in Acrobat 8 and the process suggested in your last link seems torture, an uninstal should be just that. Not good programming if it leaves working traces.
Also, if a Genuineness checker is finding a problem, why does it not report it?

There are no firewalls etc that I know of.
I agree with your reasoning in the final paragraph, it is just finding a sensible corrective action!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back