• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

Background color changes

cateo

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I have a dozen photos of a subject in a studio and the background shade must be changed on all to a medium gray. I know I can do this in LR by using the Adjustment brush tool and use Auto Mask to protect the subject while changing the background color. But. The subject is a person with long hair and this is tedious. Does anyone know if there's an easier way in LR to do this, and if so, is it in the LQ book? Also, I thought I remembered using PS for this long ago and that it was almost a one-click exercise. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, is there a link to a tutorial or instruction that you could show me? Thank you so much in advance for any guidance.

Johan Elzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Depending on the color of the background, you could try to use Range Mask with Color as the option. Photoshop has more sophisticated options to isolate hair, but it's usually not a one-click exercise in Photoshop either.

cateo

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
]Depending on the color of the background, you could try to use Range Mask with Color as the option. Photoshop has more sophisticated options to isolate hair, but it's usually not a one-click exercise in Photoshop either.[

Thank you for the quick reply John - I sort of thought as much. I'm using the LR brush tool with auto mask on. Do you think Range Mask is a better way to go? It's a seamless background so not very complicated in shape.