• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! As well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes, Lightroom Classic has a new local Hue tool, improved ISO-specific defaults, performance improvements and more. The Lightroom cloud ecosystem also gets local Hue, as well as Versions, Activity notifications, text watermarking and the ability to upload your own Discovery tutorials. Here are the full updates about Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom cloud ecosystem.

BACK UPS

ramgarciacano56

Lightroom Version
LIGHTROOM CLASSIC V9.3
Operating System
macOS 10.10 Yosemite, macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I HAVE NEVER BACKED UP MY CATALOG. HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS? CAN I BACK UP THE WHOLE THING AT ONE TIME? HOW? WHERE DO YOU RECOMMEND STORING IT?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Welcome to the forum. You can create a backup by going to the Edit menu and selecting Catalog Settings. At the bottom of the window are the backup settings. When you exit LR, the window will appear and you can create a backup. Here are more detailed instructions: How to back up catalogs in Lightroom Classic . Remember, this only backs up your catalog files. It does not back up your image files. These need to be backed up separately. I recommend no less than two backups at a minimum. You can buy a couple of external drives and use them. And since you are on a Mac, you can also use Time Machine.

Good luck,

--Ken

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes, the backup function backs up all the catalog file, but not previews (which can be created again in LR). So, once you create the backup, which resides in a folder named by the date and time, you will want to copy it to one of the external drives. You can do this manually, with sync software or with backup software like Time Machine. I would store one of the external drives offline, the other would ideally be stored off premises, like in an office or a friend's house. And, if you have cloud storage, you could put a copy there as well.

--Ken