• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalogs Back Up to a second location

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashpixx

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Win 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info):
Lightroom Classic version: 7.0 [ 1140024 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 10
Version: 10.0

Can I automatically back up LR to a second location or do I need to copy and paste?

Thank you

Back up what? The catalog, or your images? The catalog backup process on exit only allows for one backup copy to be made. If you want more than one backup copy, you'll need to manage that yourself.

Images are not backed up by LR, backup of these is a user responsibility. The only thing that Lightroom does support is the option to make a second copy of new images being added in the import process, the idea being that when importing from card/camera (using the Copy option) the "Make Second Copy" option is available so that if used you immediately have two copies of the contents of that card on hard drive, meaning you can more safely reformat/reuse that card before your regular system backups are run.

That last part is important. Adobe would expect every user to have a regular backup system in place (system-wide, not just for photography stuff), which would embrace your images and catalog(s) (mine also embraces my catalog backups folder as well).

In Catalog Settings you can set Lightroom when to make a back-up of your catalog (on exit i.g.). This back-up is zipped to make it as small as posible. Unfortunately you can not set the location for this back-up so it's put inside a 'backup' subfolder inside the folder that contains your catalog. However, you can copy or move them to another (external) hard disk quite easy of course (with hand or tooling).

In Catalog Settings you can set Lightroom when to make a back-up of your catalog (on exit i.g.). This back-up is zipped to make it as small as posible. Unfortunately you can not set the location for this back-up so it's put inside a 'backup' subfolder inside the folder that contains your catalog. However, you can copy or move them to another (external) hard disk quite easy of course (with hand or tooling).

Yes, you can set the location. You can do it in the dialog where Lightroom asks you if you want to make a backup or skip it this time.

Unknown.png

es, you can set the location. You can do it in the dialog where Lightroom asks you if you want to make a backup or skip it this time.
I did not know that Lightroom does 'remember' this location, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back