• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Back up of books in Lightroom Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_6

Lightroom Version Number
9.2,1 (latest)
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi there,

I hope someone can help me with this one.

I use LR Classic.
Because I have 200.000+ pictures, I use a NAS storage to keep all my pictures.

I have a couple of books that have costed me a lot of work and that I would like to back up in case something happens to my iMac.
So I perform the build in LR back up regularly.

To check if this back up works for the books as well, I opened a back up file in LR on a Macbook and selected a book to check if it was on the back up.
I did see the book I opened, it had all the pages, page numbers, texts, but NOT the photo's. Which is logical, because LR does not contain the actual pictures.

If my iMac crashes I can retrieve a back up of the Lightroom catalogue from my NAS storage. This will have both empty books (as I wrote above) and all the pictures.
Will LR then fill the book automatically with pictures again in this case? In other words: does it restore the book?

If not: is the best option then to back up the books by exporting each book to another LR catalog (right-click on the book in the Collections panel and choose Export Collection as Catalog).

Thank you so much for your advise!

Best regards

Chris

You should be able to recreate the Book from any Lightroom Classic catalog (including backup) and the original images. However, If these Books are so important and are derived from a Lightroom Catalog, isn’t it wise to make a local copy and backup that as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi there,

First of all, thank you for your quick reply.

You write that I should be able to recreate the Book from any LR Classic catalog and the original images. Does LR fill the book automatically as soon as I bring the photo's and the book together? I do I need to recreate the book manually photo by photo (which will be too much work)

Yes, I would like to make local copy's. But how do I make copy's of books incl. all the pictures? Is that by right clicking on the book in the Collections panel and choose Export Collection as Catalog). O do I misunderstand you?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Chris

When you create a "Saved Book". Lightroom stored the Instructions for that Saved book like it stored other Collections Settings,the Export settings or import settings.. You can find your Saved Book in the Collections panel.

Dear Cletus
Thanks so much for your reply.

I think I understand you, but I am not sure if it answers my previous questions:
- when I bring back together the book and pictures, will the pictures automatically fill the book again?

- can I make a copy of the Saved Book including all pictures from that book by right clicking on the book in the Collections panel and choose Export Collection as Catalog?

Thank you once again for your time for me!

Best regards

Chris

- can I make a copy of the Saved Book including all pictures from that book by right clicking on the book in the Collections panel and choose Export Collection as Catalog?
A collection does not contain images, it only contains pointers to the path of images that are assigned to the collection. A saved book is just like a collection in that regard. It is the catalog that contains the collections and saved books that determines the image inventory. As long as the integrity of the catalog is inviolate wrt the path to the images, then Collections and Saved Book (Collections) will resolve to the contents of each when re opened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back