• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Back up hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadine

Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 11.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Hi all, someone once recommended a program/software/something how to back up the hard drive with the images. But I can`t find the thread any more - (when I type in back up in the search it says no results...) How do you back up your images /sync your main hard drive with your back up drive? Cheers, Nadine

Are you on Windows or macOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chronosync, Carbon Copy Cloner, Goodsync and Arq Backup 7 are some good backup apps if you use a Mac.
SyncBack Pro, Goodsync and Arq Backup 7 if you use a Windows computer.

You should set the backup app to verify the files after they are copied to the Backup destination. Also you need to set them to do Versioned backups - not exact sync. This means that any files altered / removed from the source location should not be completely replaced / removed from the backup destination but kept (in a special folder) for some additional time that you set.

Chronosync, Carbon Copy Cloner, Goodsync and Arq Backup 7 are some good backup apps if you use a Mac.
SyncBack Pro, Goodsync and Arq Backup 7 if you use a Windows computer.

You should set the backup app to verify the files after they are copied to the Backup destination. Also you need to set them to do Versioned backups - not exact sync. This means that any files altered / removed from the source location should not be completely replaced / removed from the backup destination but kept (in a special folder) for some additional time that you set.
Can you back up both to a cloud (onedrive) and simultaneously a second hard drive?

Arq 7 is better suited for cloud backup (it can also backup to a disk) and encrypts the files.

For disk to disk backup file backup better use SyncBack pro

Can you back up both to a cloud (onedrive) and simultaneously a second hard drive?

Both apps you mentioned can do that by using separate backup jobs for each destination. TBO, you should use both apps, if you can afford it: Arq 7 to backup to OneDrive so that your files are encrypted and Microsoft cannot scan them. And Syncback pro to backup from disk to disk.
Synckback pro can also backup to OneDrive but without first encrypting your files.

Apart from privacy issues, the danger with Backing up to OneDrive is that their algorithm may incorrectly deem that your photos are inappropriate and then they can complete block your account (OneDrive, office, email - everything) without any practical way to appeal. See https://borncity.com/win/2020/08/16/microsoft-kontensperrungen-und-die-onedrive-nacktfotos/

How do you back up your images /sync your main hard drive with your back up drive? Cheers, Nadine
I use Allway Sync on my Windows machine. I back up daily to separate hard drives and monthly to a 3rd which is stored off site.
Allway Sync can be set to back up to all 3 at once, which is my preferred way of backing up.

I use Allway Sync on my Windows machine. I back up daily to separate hard drives and monthly to a 3rd which is stored off site.
Allway Sync can be set to back up to all 3 at once, which is my preferred way of backing up.
I've never used Allway Sync, so I'd be interested to know if it can be a cheaper alternative to SyncBack Pro: Can you set it to verify the files after they are copied and can it keep versions of your deleted / replaced files on the backup destination?

That s a really good price with allwaysync! Do they also offer back up to a cloud? Btw with Onedrive: They only offer max 2TB for one user.... might need to open an account with dropbox... I `m very close to 2 TB already due to tons of RAWS...

I personally have an office 365 family subscription which offers 6 x 1TB OneDrive cloud space. It’s a very good deal plus you get the latest Office apps for up to 6 different users. I backup different folders to each of the 6 OneDrive accounts with Arq Backup 7.

I personally have an office 365 family subscription which offers 6 x 1TB OneDrive cloud space. It’s a very good deal plus you get the latest Office apps for up to 6 different users. I backup different folders to each of the 6 OneDrive accounts with Arq Backup 7.

That's a good idea. I have a 365 family edition, and could make better use of the 1TB per account that I have.

Brilliant idea !! I ll do the same! Started with the free trial of arq7 and after more than four hours 25.000 GB are backed up... this might take days!!

To be clear, are you wanting to image your whole drive, have synced copies of your files, or have versioned backup copies of your files? For the first, AOMEI Backupper and Macrium are good options. For the second, I use SyncBack Free. I do not do versioning so I cannot recommend any products, but I know that there are a lot of folks that like versioning backups.

Good luck,

--Ken

To be clear, are you wanting to image your whole drive, have synced copies of your files, or have versioned backup copies of your files? For the first, AOMEI Backupper and Macrium are good options. For the second, I use SyncBack Free. I do not do versioning so I cannot recommend any products, but I know that there are a lot of folks that like versioning backups.

Good luck,

--Ken

AOIMEI Backupper is great to image your system drive (c:\) for quick restore after a windows or other app trouble.

As to the matter of versioning, I think it’s really worth it: If an (already backed up) file gets corrupted or inadvertently deleted (by user mistake or a glitch) on the source then the next “mirror-sync” will do the same “damage” on the backup destination. Then you don’t have any good file to restore from.

AOIMEI Backupper is great to image your system drive (c:\) for quick restore after a windows or other app trouble.

As to the matter of versioning, I think it’s really worth it: If an (already backed up) file gets corrupted or inadvertently deleted (by user mistake or a glitch) on the source then the next “mirror-sync” will do the same “damage” on the backup destination. Then you don’t have any good file to restore from.

I wasn`t aware of these options.. Right now with arq7 I m mirror syncing I believe... ? It does make sense: if something gets accidentally deleted from my main drive the fault will be automatically synced to my back up - and I loose the images for good...

I wasn`t aware of these options.. Right now with arq7 I m mirror syncing I believe... ? It does make sense: if something gets accidentally deleted from my main drive the fault will be automatically synced to my back up - and I loose the images for good...

No, actually with Arq you are safe: it saves versions of your changed files (and the deleted files) so don’t worry! You set a quota, say 900MB, and any versions or deleted files that will fit on that space are ready to be restored: you just choose the date from which you restore. So if you delete from the backup a file on the 15th May, you just restore it from the 14th of May, provided it has already been backed up by then. Arq will delete older versions (you set how many you want it to keep) automatically if the space runs low.

My comment about the versioning was about how you set other backup apps like Synckback Pro: if you do a strict mirror sync (the destination matches exactly the source) without enabling versions, then you can be in trouble.

Ok great! Thanks for all these helpful comments! Gonna leave my laptop on tonight so let`s see how much is being backed up in the morning;-)

Hey again, can I have the different one drive accounts on my laptop at the same time or do I have to log in and out? Because Arq 7 seems to just want to back up to "onedrive", the one that`s currently on my laptop - and not to a certain one drive account that I just set up and I want to it to back up to.

Hey again, can I have the different one drive accounts on my laptop at the same time or do I have to log in and out? Because Arq 7 seems to just want to back up to "onedrive", the one that`s currently on my laptop - and not to a certain one drive account that I just set up and I want to it to back up to.

You need to sign out of your usual OneDrive in your default browser. Then when you create an alternate OneDrive destination in Arq, you will be asked you to sign in to the other OneDrive account once, to give permission to Arq to backup there. Don’t check “remember me” in that instance. Afterwards you can sign out / sign in again to your usual OneDrive in your browser.

Once you create these destinations to: OneDrive#1, OneDrive#2, GoogleDrive, FolderOnADisk etc, you can have different backup jobs to backup to any (or more) of them. So, for example, you can backup your *.lrcat LrC catalog (omit the previews folders) to both OneDrive and Google Drive (assuming you have a gmail account) In the latter example you can set a quota, say, of 2GB (out of the free 15GB that Gmail offers) and Arq will cram as many backup versions of your catalog in that space as it can automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back