• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Auto-Rotate portrait photos upon import

ZeeKay

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad I found a forum dedicated to LR. I'm a beginner, but have invested quite a number of hours working in and using LR 3.x.

I might be beating a dead horse here, but I can't seem to find any option in LR to automatically rotate portrait shots while importing.

I use Nikon D90 and to my knowledge I have not changed any setting in it to rotate picture in it.

I thank you all in advance.
ZeeKay

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
ZK, Welcome to the Forum, I think your answer lies in your camera. There is an EXIF setting in the image header that is set by the camera. The TagName is 'Orientation' LR reads and honors the value it finds there. I do not have a Nikon, but in the settings on my camera I have a menu option "Save Rotation Info" Unless this is turned on, the "Orientation" field is set to Normal in all Cases and No auto-rotation occurs. Check your camera manual and settings to see what you camera is set for. Also check the camera screen in playback. It should (unless you have turned that feature off) also rotate the image during playback. If it doesn't and you settings say it should, the your accelerometer may be malfunctioning.
One other possibility. If you are shooting straight down so that the lens is nearly facing the ground, the accelerometer may report a different value from what your mind thinks should be portrait or landscape.

b_gossweiler

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
In addition to Cletus' post, there are cameras where you have two settings: One for orientation change on your in-camera display, and another one for writing the orientation into the files. The one that counts for LR is the latter one.

Beat

Edit:
The D90 actually has two settings:

• Rotate Tall:
    Only affects on-camera display of portrait images
  • Auto Image Rotation:
    Affects on-camera display as well as file orientation tag.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeeKay

Thank you Cletus and Beat. I have now checked the "Auto Image Rotation" option in the setup menu.
If that still doesn't work then I will post the updates.

ZeeKay