• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Auto Layout bug? problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pvasoldier

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom classic CC 8.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hello,

I’m using Adobe CC and lightroom classic 8.2. I wanted to use the book module but seem to find an issue.

Every time I try and auto layout it defaults back to 1 photo a page. I tried introduce new layouts by finding out templates online and putting them in the correct folder. I saw here however that some blurb file sizes were missing. I recreated them (to no avail). What am I doing wrong? It’s very frustrating.

You will need to design your own Presets for Auto-Fill in the Auto Layout Preset Editor-
You have options for Left and Right pages with single or multi-photo designs.
And you can, of course, alter individual pages after you run the Auto-Fill command.

eg. Two photos Left page- Four photos Right page. (ignore the Preset name in my screen-clip)

Yes, I have done this but what happens is the template resets back to 1 photo every time I save it. So I can’t make a template.

Sorry I cannot pinpoint your problem, only make some suggestions-
Do you highlight the page templates with a yellow frame that you want for autofill in the preset editor?
Are you saving your Preset design with a specific name? (eg. 2xLeft-4xRight)
And are you then selecting this new preset in the Auto Layout panel? (Then [Clear] and [AutoFill] again)
Do you see a folder with your defined preset in the Mac equivalent location? - C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Auto Layout Presets
Do you have full Read/Write permissions on this folder? (to allow the preset to 'save')
Then last resorts- Reset the Preferences file, re-install Lightroom.

The Book module may still be bugged. The major problems that started with v8.0 may still be surfacing.

Thank you for helping with this.

I’ve been digging around and trying a few things still to no avail. It does sound like the v8 bug is alive and well on my machine.

Essentially, I opened the book module.

Went to auto format and created a new template.

Saved this.

Cleared book.

Pressed auto format and it didn’t do what I wanted. I checked the new template I made and it was for 1 page not multiple as I set it.

I reinstalled lightroom. Nothing changed.

The template name is saved but the settings won’t save past 1 photo per page.

I’ll try permissions and reinstalling again. I did notice that the files for 13x11-blurb which I was using didn’t exist in the folder structure.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

Do you highlight the page templates with a yellow frame that you want for autofill in the preset editor?
Yes, I can change layout in the Page setting but the Auto Format doesn't work.

Are you saving your Preset design with a specific name? (eg. 2xLeft-4xRight)
Yes, Saved as Honeymoon_v1 (they are my honeymoon photos haha)

And are you then selecting this new preset in the Auto Layout panel? (Then [Clear] and [AutoFill] again)
Yes as per the instruction video.

Do you see a folder with your defined preset in the Mac equivalent location? - C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Auto Layout Presets
I went into a Mac equivalent folder 13x11-blurb, I can't find an AutoLayout Preset folder.

Do you have full Read/Write permissions on this folder? (to allow the preset to 'save')
Checked and it says I do

Then last resorts- Reset the Preferences file, re-install Lightroom.
I reinstalled the software with the same issue surfacing,

The Book module may still be bugged. The major problems that started with v8.0 may still be surfacing.
Im contacting Adobe today.

"I went into a Mac equivalent folder 13x11-blurb, I can't find an AutoLayout Preset folder. "

So if your book template did 'save', you should be able to find it at this location-
Macintosh HD /Users /[your username] /Library /Application Support /Adobe /Lightroom /Auto Layout Presets / Honeymoon_v1 .lrtemplate
Or-
If you’ve checked the Store presets with this catalog checkbox in Preferences, they’ll be stored next to your catalog file instead.

I do not know what you mean by the "folder 13x11-blurb"..

Yes, I can change layout in the Page setting but the Auto Format doesn't work.
Not sure what you mean by this either!
Page setting for the preset template is all done in the Template Editor- not the Page panel on the right of screen.

Can you show us some screen-clips of the steps you are taking to create the template? We may be able to pinpoint something amiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back