• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The November 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes the ability to export the same photos as multiple sizes/formats in a single export, content aware fill for panorama edges and more. It does require a catalog format upgrade and there are updated system requirements, so you may want to wait a few days before upgrading.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options (such as TIFF format, renaming and color space), custom sort order on the desktop, copy/paste to multiple photos on iOS and more.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Auto all at once is different than when applied individually

wireless200

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
Most of the time after importing photos I'll select them all and click auto in the develop module basic panel.

However the auto adjust done that way is not the same as if one selects a single picture and clicks auto.

For example even though each image in the selected group is auto-adjusted with the sliders having moved in various directions once one goes to them individually the auto slider is still clickable. Clicking auto initiates a further (better) adjustment.

Why?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I believe that it's done for performance reasons....so rather than having to convert the originals files in order to then do the AI evaluation to calculate and apply the auto settings, the existing ACR cache entries are used instead for the auto adjustment. This greatly speeds up the process, but of course it does tend to make the "auto" result not always quite the same as it would be when applying it to the original file.....hence the "Auto" button being still enabled and further slider adjustments being seen if it is used.

wireless200

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Okay, yes, I remember reading something along those lines. Or else auto edits from the image preview rather than using raw file data. Well I wish it had the option to do either but as I found the shortcut CTRL-U it's not a big deal.

Thanks.

I believe that it's done for performance reasons....so rather than having to convert the originals files in order to then do the AI evaluation to calculate and apply the auto settings, the existing ACR cache entries are used instead for the auto adjustment. This greatly speeds up the process, but of course it does tend to make the "auto" result not always quite the same as it would be when applying it to the original file.....hence the "Auto" button being still enabled and further slider adjustments being seen if it is used.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
As a test select a handul of files. Switch Sync to Auto Sync and try it.