• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Aspect ratio on imported micro four thirds RAW files

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnTillotson

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.1.1 [ 202101041610-8c69aa4e ]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm using the latest Lightroom Classic on the latest Windows 10.
My Lumix G9 is set to an aspect ratio of 3:2.
Until a few weeks ago, my imported RAW files were automatically cropped to 3:2 - but the whole image was still there.
Recently this automatic cropping just happens to a few of them.
But if I select all the just-imported images and set the crop ratio to 'as shot', I get the effect I want.
What do I need to set (or unset) to make this happen reliably and automatically again on all my imports?
Is it connected with the 'Master' setting in 'RAW defaults' in the Presets tab in Preferences?

Ok, so the G9 has a Four Thirds sensor and it captures raw image files at 5184 x 3,888 pixels, this is a 4:3 ratio. There's an option to capture images at a 3:2 ratio and you will get an image file that is 5,184 x 3456 pixels, this means that pixels have been cropped.
I also use a Four Thirds camera, have done so since 2004, and capture raw images at the full resolution and do the crop in post-processing. This allows the benefit of being able to decide which pixels get cropped.
Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 7.11.32 AM.png

Is it connected with the 'Master' setting in 'RAW defaults' in the Presets tab in Preferences?
If it's behaving differently for some photos and not others, and they are all raw files, then it sounds more like a bug - suggest report to Adobe. You're not able to save a crop in a Preset, so can't see it's to do with Presets.

Lightroom will import the full sensor pixels for RAW. However, the Crop window has two positions for the default, “As Shot” will honor any crop settings set in the camera. The other default is “Original” which will display in your case the full 4/3 sensor. Could this be what you are seeing in the Lightroom view ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lightroom will import the full sensor pixels for RAW. However, the Crop window has two positions for the default, “As Shot” will honor any crop settings set in the camera. The other default is “Original” which will display in your case the full 4/3 sensor. Could this be what you are seeing in the Lightroom view ?

Good tip Cletus, was this so from the release of Lr 1 in 2007?

Many thanks clee01l and Denis for your time and expertise..
What used to happen was that all my images when imported had the setting 'as shot'.
Currently most of them when imported have the setting of 'original' - but when I change this to 'as shot' I get the effect I wish for. A few still come over 'as shot'. So, as a workround, after each import I select all the images and change the crop setting from 'Multiple Settings' (i.e. a mix of 'original' and 'as shot') to 'as shot' and all is well with the world.
My puzzle is - why is the import not consistent and reliable (as before) - and how can I make it consistent and reliable?

I think “As Shot” is the (new?) default. If there is no in camera crop applied “As Shot” = “Original”.

I am on a photo trip currently and only have my iPadPro and Lightroom Mobile So I can’t check out how LrC determines the Default.

You have your reasons for doing what you are doing and I won't argue with that but as Denis implied above, you are wasting a valuable part of an already small sensor. I'm also a m4/3 shooter. At first I found the 4:3 format a bit strange and didn't know what to do with that extra sky and foreground but now I use it to give extra dimension. I always use the full sensor but occasionally crop the image to 2:3 for certain landscapes for a more panoramic effect. Although having grown up on 35mm film, I now find 2:3 too letterboxy for most of my photography being wildlife and nature macros.

Bob, thank you for taking the time to reply.
My reasons are - a sizeable proportion of my work ends up as AVs. I build these in the 3:2 aspect ratio. If I set my camera to that format, what I see in the back and the viewfinder is in that aspect ratio - which helps my composition.
But - as I shoot in Raw and due to the wonders of Lightroom, ALL the image is still available should I need it (so nothing is 'wasted').
\\\all the best. JDT

Fair enough. It looks like movies is where many of us are heading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back