• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Are there any LR presets designed for use with B&W TIF files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassiman

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi,

I have seen huge numbers of presets designed to do beautiful work with RAW files when converting to B&W but have been looking for presets that have been designed for use with B&W scanned negatives (Tiff) files to get the best B&W from B&W 16 bit grayscale scans?:?:?

Does such an animal exist?

Bennett, it is also pretty easy to take an existing preset and adjust it to your needs and then save it as your own........;)

I can't find in now, but Martin Evening had a post on a preset for a negative. I can't find it, maybe some else has it. The approach was to create a preset in light by importing the negative into photoshop, flipping the curve so that it inverts the image, so the line goes from upper Left to lower right.

And then, you, uh, er... geez this is killing me. Help Help! What's the next step?

Sorry that's as far as my brain can go.

UPDATE: Found it! http://lightroom-news.com/2''9/'4/13/creating-a-lightroom-invert-tone-curve/

The default Lightroom Develop panel settings don’t include an invert tone curve for converting a negative image into a positive, but it is possible to create one of your own. There are several ways you can do this and the method illustrated here in this movie is the simplest you can use to create a custom invert setting.

This tutorial came about in response to a photographer who wanted to photograph negatives with his digital SLR and process them directly in Lightroom. This is the solution I suggested, but as you will see, you do end up in a situation where all your major tone edit controls work in reverse, so you have to use the Blacks slider to control the highlight clipping point and the Exposure slider to set the black clipping point. However, the ability to create this type of setting for use in Lightroom does extend the range of Develop settings and what you can do creatively in Lightroom by applying invert tone curves to produce creative effects such as the Smoke presets creates by Sean McCormack.

Reid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back