• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Are LRC 2021 .xmp files backward compatible with LRC 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffEllis

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LRC 10.0 release w/ Camera Raw 13.0, and LRC 8.4.3 w/ Camera Raw 11.4.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi gang. Last year had to upgrade my MacBook Pro to a 16" w/Catalina. And for the most part happy.
But my desktop 2013 model MacPro is still running Sierra (OS 10.12.4) to be able to use some important older software.
Also not sure how well my MacPro will handle Catalina - if anyone has opinions on that here, and personal experience running Catalina on the older MacPro, happy to hear them. The MP has 24GB ram.
And I have a huge 35,000 image master Catalog on the MacPro

I know if I Export as Catalog a job from my new LRC 2021 and try to import it into my older LRC 2019 on the desktop, it can't because the catalog is the older version.
So for things I want to transfer to the desktop - which runs all my backup drives, will the LRC 2019 be able to read the new 2021 .xmp's to generate the images with my corrections made on the 2021 version? In other words, take the corrected files done in LRC 2021, and re-import them to the older catalog?
Or in order to read the files with my laptop based adjustments will I need to hook up the laptop or at least network it and view them on the 2021 catalog?

thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi Jeff

I've been running Catalina on my MP (late-2013 model) with no issues. My catalogs are substantially larger btw.

XMP - you don't mention the specific version of Classic, but I'm 99% sure yes (I do this with Clients on older versions)

Easiest way to be 100% in your situation is, of course, to take just one raw file in 2021, save metadata, then import on the desktop to check.

Yes, they are compatible. The only edits that will be ignored are the ones that were introduced after that version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back