• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Are files updated in there original folder, when a copy in a collection is processed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
4.x
Hallo,
I'm using a combo of Adobe Lightroom 6 & DxO Optics Pro Elite 11 as post-processing. After an initial import into Lightroom, I send the most rewarding to DxO.
After tweaking I can send back a copy in TIFF-format to Lightroom. DxO sends those files back to the origanal folder. After left-click the foldername in LR and give the command: 'Synchronize Folder..', the new TIFF-files will be imported.
But it also create a collection, named: DxO Optics Pro -> supmap: 'Date'

Now is my question: If I edited the files in the collection, will the files in the original folder automatic will be updated. Or have I to do something more?

With regards, Martin

It's the same file in both places, so of course the image in the folder will get updated when you edit the one in the collection.

Hallo,
I'm using a combo of Adobe Lightroom 6 & DxO Optics Pro Elite 11 as post-processing. After an initial import into Lightroom, I send the most rewarding to DxO.
After tweaking I can send back a copy in TIFF-format to Lightroom. DxO sends those files back to the origanal folder. After left-click the foldername in LR and give the command: 'Synchronize Folder..', the new TIFF-files will be imported.
But it also create a collection, named: DxO Optics Pro -> supmap: 'Date'

Now is my question: If I edited the files in the collection, will the files in the original folder automatic will be updated. Or have I to do something more?

With regards, Martin

The files aren't updated at all. Lightroom stores the edits in its database, not in the files.

The files aren't updated at all. Lightroom stores the edits in its database, not in the files.
All right, I'm well aware of the database-methode whitch LR uses. So let me refrrase the question. If I made tweaks on the TIF-files in a collection, will LR 'updates' his/her database. So when I look into the orginal folder, as described above, I see the TIF-files 'updated' ?

All right, I'm well aware of the database-methode whitch LR uses. So let me refrrase the question. If I made tweaks on the TIF-files in a collection, will LR 'updates' his/her database. So when I look into the orginal folder, as described above, I see the TIF-files 'updated' ?
Yes

Tony Jay

Yes, of course. There is only one file. Collections are like memberships; you can be a member of many organisations, but there is still only one person. So if you cut your hair, your hair is cut no matter via what organisation people look at you. And it doesn't matter where you got the hair cut.

Yes but if you don't want that it's possible to make a 'virtual copy'. That's a second (or third, etc) reference to the original file and that can have other edits than the first one.
This way it's possible to have different edited version of your photo in different collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back