• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Applying lens corrections for iPhone (front and back camera) during import?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joptimus

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
Hi there,

is the above possible?
Problem: there are front and back cameras, so two different profiles would have to be applied accordingly.
Any tips?

Thank you!
John

Apple Profiles are applied automatically. Front and back camera have separate profiles listed for each lens aperture.

Not here, just tried it:
I exported from Apple Photos an unedited original (.heic). Imported it to Lightroom (just added, not convert to DNG) and in the development panel in the lens corrections section the checkbox is not ticked. When I tick it, the image is visibly corrected (distortion).

Most lens profiles provided with LR are for raws only. But LR does provide separate non-raw profiles for the front and back iPhones starting with the 7. When you check Enable Profile Corrections, LR appears to determine the correct lens profiles (it doesn't always for some cameras and lenses).

With raw files, you can change the default settings for the camera to apply a lens profile automatically. But HEIC files aren't raw, so LR won't let you do that.

You could create a preset with just Lens Corrections > Enable Profile Corrections and apply it on import via the Import window's Apply During Import > Develop Settings. That would apply to every photo you import.

Most lens profiles provided with LR are for raws only. But LR does provide separate non-raw profiles for the front and back iPhones starting with the 7. When you check Enable Profile Corrections, LR appears to determine the correct lens profiles (it doesn't always for some cameras and lenses).

With raw files, you can change the default settings for the camera to apply a lens profile automatically. But HEIC files aren't raw, so LR won't let you do that.

You could create a preset with just Lens Corrections > Enable Profile Corrections and apply it on import via the Import window's Apply During Import > Develop Settings. That would apply to every photo you import.

Thanks for the explanation.
Since the iPhone has front and back cameras, how would LRC know, which picture comes from which camera and would apply the correct lens correction profile?

Also, which iPhone? And what do you have iOS Settings > Camera > Lens Correction set to?

Not here, just tried it:
I exported from Apple Photos an unedited original (.heic). Imported it to Lightroom (just added, not convert to DNG) and in the development panel in the lens corrections section the checkbox is not ticked. When I tick it, the image is visibly corrected (distortion).
Before I replied previously, I took a look at several iPhone13 Pro HEIC files in my catalog. While "Enable Profile Corrections" checkbox is unchecked initially, Checking that box shows the "Lens profile" Make, Model and Profile. The Same holds for JPEGs all the way back to my iPhone4.

It's an iPhone 12 mini. In the camera settings, lens correction is enabled.
Before I replied previously, I took a look at several iPhone13 Pro HEIC files in my catalog. While "Enable Profile Corrections" checkbox is unchecked initially, Checking that box shows the "Lens profile" Make, Model and Profile. The Same holds for JPEGs all the way back to my iPhone4.
Did that visibly change anything? It's weird, since the corrections are already applied (see above), so they are applied twice?

A RAW file will need to be converted to RGB (pixels) and basic adjustments are applied. Apple ProRAW produces a DNG file that CAN have profile corrections applied after converted to RGB. HEIC and JPEG are fully processed RGB file out of the Apple Photo Camera processor. These will have the lens profile correction applied. Lightroom will not apply them twice

Since the iPhone has front and back cameras, how would LRC know, which picture comes from which camera and would apply the correct lens correction profile?

"Front" and "back" are included in the lens ID written to the metadata by the camera, which LR uses to select a profile:

1669047178997.png

A RAW file will need to be converted to RGB (pixels) and basic adjustments are applied. Apple ProRAW produces a DNG file that CAN have profile corrections applied after converted to RGB. HEIC and JPEG are fully processed RGB file out of the Apple Photo Camera processor. These will have the lens profile correction applied. Lightroom will not apply them twice
That is how it supposed to work but if I apply the lens correction on a heic file in Lightroom there is a visual change. So it might be applying it twice.

HEIC and JPEG are fully processed RGB file out of the Apple Photo Camera processor. These will have the lens profile correction applied. Lightroom will not apply them twice
In my tests just now with an iPhone 12 Pro Max, when you click Enable Profile Corrections on an HEIC, LR always applies its lens profile, regardless of whether iOS Settings > Camera > Lens Correction was on or off. With Exiftool I found nothing in the metadata that indicates whether the iOS lens corrections had been made.

I observed the same thing with a Proraw DNG. According to this decidedly not authoritative post, the iOS Camera app doesn't apply lens corrections to Proraws:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254329557

I observed the same thing with a Proraw DNG. According to this decidedly not authoritative post, the iOS Camera app doesn't apply lens corrections to Proraws:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254329557

Oh that's interesting. I've been following an issue with any user's iPhone 13 Pro, where the Lens Corrections panel wasn't displaying the usual "built in lens profile applied", which is different to my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I'm not expert in DNG opcodes, but when I messed around with exiftool trying to see if the opcodes were indeed in the file, I couldn't find them in his but could in mine. I've got a bug in with the camera raw team to try to ascertain whether LR's misreporting or whether there really are no opcodes in his file.

Some update:
I created a preset with lens corrections active and applied it to a batch of my iPhone photos (approx. 1800). For around 600 of them it didn't work, LR says it cannot automatically find a matching profile.
When I select "Apple", it suggests iPad 10th gen back camera by default (see screenshots)
I think it may be a bug, I'll report it to Adobe.

Might one of you please try with your LRC installation if it finds the correct profile for these two images?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfaijn27s4q69yd/IMG_1020.HEIC?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/owhibgez4tyielc/IMG_1036.HEIC?dl=0

They should be "12 mini back camera, 1.55mm, f2.4"

Thank you!

Attachments

• Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-01 um 12.29.15.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-01 um 12.29.15.png
    445.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-01 um 12.29.25.png
    Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-01 um 12.29.25.png
    335.5 KB · Views: 75
No, there does not appear to be an Adobe profile for the 1.55mm lens, there's only a profile (back camera) for a 4.2mm f/1.6 lens.

Hello Jim,
of course you're right! Somehow I missed that. Logged a bug with Adobe, maybe they'll include this profile in a future release.

Since I couldn't exit my post:
Is there a good place on the web with user created profiles that Adobe has not integrated (yet)?

Since I couldn't exit my post:
Is there a good place on the web with user created profiles that Adobe has not integrated (yet)?
Not any more. There used to be a web-site where users could share lens profiles that they had made, and which were freely available to all users to download and use. But that web-site was closed down a few years ago, all that's left now is the option for users to create their own lens profiles, see this document: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back