• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Apple Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelHowlett

Lightroom Version Number
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic 11.0.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I am running Lightroom classic CC on my Mac - Big Sur operating system.

I seem unable to add music to Lightroom slideshows. When I try to add music Apple Music as an application is greyed out. I can’t download anything from Apple Music to my computer - even songs I purchased via ITunes in the past. Is there a compatibility problem, am I missing something, do I need to change some permissions somewhere or does the new Apple Music protocol just not work with Lightroom?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike

IIRC, Apple Music is now a streaming service. Look for the Tunes Store app for your purchased music. You should create a playlist and download the tunes in the play list and creat a playlist music file to add more than one song to the slide show.

Amazon music will let you download music to your local device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi there
I don't seem to have an iTunes Store App on my Mac, and can't find such a thing on the App Store.
They did a new install on this Mac when they put in Big Sur and there is no reference to iTunes at all - only Apple Music?
Any thoughts?

Hi there
I don't seem to have an iTunes Store App on my Mac, and can't find such a thing on the App Store.
They did a new install on this Mac when they put in Big Sur and there is no reference to iTunes at all - only Apple Music?
Any thoughts?

I’m not on my iMac atm, but it is a downloadable app on my iPadPro. It appears that iTunes is no longer supported on MacOS 11 or 12.
Try downloading from iTunes on your mobile device and store the music files in iCloud

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
I’ll try that
I have managed to retrieve some songs outside of Apple Music but when I try to use them they all say the music file is not well formed. I’ve converted to wav and mp3 from the m4a format I downloaded in but that doesn’t seem to help.

I’m trying to get back into Lightroom from a time away but this is quite frustrating- maybe a stand-alone slideshow app would be a better bet?

On any recent version of macOS, iTunes is not the app you are looking for. A few years ago, Apple rebranded the iTunes app as the Music app, Which works basically the same as ever (I still listen to all my digitized ripped CDs/vinyl/cassettes through it), they only changed the name. It’s now the Music app on both macOS and iOS.

Apple-Music-app-icon.jpg

And like Cletus said, it is those local (not streamed) MP3/AAC music files that Lightroom Classic can use. Also if the music was bought many years ago, I think they need to be the unprotected (no DRM) type.

"I can’t download anything from Apple Music to my computer - even songs I purchased via ITunes in the past."

I just went through this recently when I had to rebuild my music library. To download previous purchased iTunes music:
1. Open the Music app
2. Click on Account from the top menu bar
3. Select View My Account
4. Sign into your account with your Apple ID
5. Look for Downloads and Purchases under your Account Information
6. Under Download and Purchases section, find Hidden Purchases and click on Manage at the right. This will show all your previous purchased music.

Selecting Unhide will allow the album/song(s) to show in the Music app. To finalize the download, you must click on the download arrow next to the album/song in the Music app. If there's another way to download en masse, I haven't found it.

As mentioned above by Cletus and Conrad, pretty much everything in the Apple eco system is protected, even though Apple lifted the DRM restrictions in 2009 its still probably protected in some way.

Ed

PS. The iTunes Store is now located inside the Music app, left side where it lists Albums, Artists, Playlists, etc.

pretty much everything in the Apple eco system is protected, even though Apple lifted the DRM restrictions in 2009 its still probably protected in some way.
Although Apple Store music tracks no longer contain DRM, the “protection” is still there in a more passive way. If someone buys a song from the iTunes Store today, they can actually play it on any compatible device, Apple or not. The way Apple keeps someone from pirating is that the music file includes embedded metadata such as "AppleStoreAccount" (the purchaser’s email address) and "ownr" (the purchaser’s full name). So while the file is not locked in any way, if it turns up on a public server and 2500 people download it, every copy of that file will point back to the purchaser.

I think they’re more strict about DRM on video files, though. Probably due to movie studio requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back