• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Apple M1-chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amos Thunder

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
Ligtroom Cloud , Lightroom Classic Photoshop
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Does anyone have experience with Ligtromm, Lightroom Classic and Photoshop on MackBook Pro with M1 processor?
Will these programs run without the use of an emulator (Rosetta)?
Considering buying a new laptop with the Apple M1 chip.
Best regards
Tore

I have been following this issue very carefully since the new M1 chips arrived. When the Mac Mini was launched in 2020 I thought it would be the ideal replacement for my old iMac. So I waited for the promised M1 compatibility of Lightroom Classic that being the one I use. As of now
I am unable to find any news relating to the full compatibility it seems still to be reliant on Rosetta2. We now have the new iMac and still
I am waiting. Although not yet in the shops I am not sure I want to get either one until I am sure that Adobe can or will upgrade Lightroom classic to work fully on M1 chips. I am sensing a problem somewhere and until I see some positive sign will stay with my old iMac.
It works OK with Lightroom does what I need and just requires some patience. Plus the longer I wait the more I will be able to afford
Rob

Adobe officially supports LR 10 running on Apple Silicon (M1 processors), and it doesn't report any "known issues". But there are mixed reports on the forums, some saying LR 10 runs great (via Rosetta), others not so much. Adobe says that "Native compatibility is planned for 2021" -- they rarely get more specific than that about their plans.
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-c...-compatibility.html#AppleSiliconcompatibility

Not quite Mac Book Pro M1, however same chipset.

Purchased back in January 2021, an Apple Mac Mini M1 with 8 core CPU and 8 core GPU, 1TB of storage and 16GB ram.

Basically, my experience has been very positive regarding this new chipset.

The Adobe creative cloud suite which includes Lightroom, Lightroom Classic and Photoshop have been running just fine.

Performance is excellent, my set up is I have an external solid-state drive which I run the Lightroom Classic catalogue on, without any problems, over 400,000, YES nearly half a million Images on a Drobo. You may ask why I run it on an external USB3 SATA drive via a hub, basically I’m waiting for more RAM.

It took me four weeks to move Lightroom classic and all the attached workflow files for example, export, plugins, watermarks presets and logos, and get the workflow that I’ve built up over years working right In this configuration.

In this new format I just unplug this external USB SATA drive, and plug it into the new Mac Mini and M1, 64 GB of ram when available, which is only for video rendering and video exporting.

For other apps for example Drobo dashboard, there has been a few issues and there currently is a beta app.

The biggest issue is Bluetooth with my configuration, when the Mac Mini is ship from Apple the firewall is switched on, using the Logitech MX3 range of keyboard and mouse which will not communicate out of the box. Any third-party device, will not attach, what you have to do is have a USB keyboard and mouse attached to turn off the firewall. Once the firewall is turned off, then on start-up of your Mac Mini these third-party Bluetooth devices will connect and allow you to login as normal, then you can put away the USB keyboard and mouse.

There is commonly known a Bluetooth issue where sometimes the Bluetooth device freezes i.e. mouse, and you have to reboot. This I assume will be finally fixed in an OS update, more annoying than anything else.

Hope this helps, and happy to answer any questions

Attachments

• F8FF14F1-BAE5-4B74-B4EA-F3E3F2364431.jpeg
    F8FF14F1-BAE5-4B74-B4EA-F3E3F2364431.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 19868CDE-4E9D-4A95-A218-8991F7463210.jpeg
    19868CDE-4E9D-4A95-A218-8991F7463210.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 151
  • E40B4315-32D8-4827-AC3D-E8496E50B88B.jpeg
    E40B4315-32D8-4827-AC3D-E8496E50B88B.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Had the M1 Mini since it was released. Great machine for the money. Be sure to get 16GB memory in any M1 Mac. Some parts of the Adobe Photo Plan are running native mode on Big Sur. But ACR and LrC are not yet released as native mode versions. Today the released versions run on top of Rosetta II emulation. They work just fine. As far as I know all the plugins from Topaz, Nik, On1 and other all still do emulation.

Phase One has said they are running their public beta of Capture One Pro for Big Sur native mode and that it will go live by the end of May. As I remember, On1 said they will have Photo Raw and their plugins on native mode by end of June. Have not seen any word from Topaz, DxO/Nik, Skylum or others.

Beware that if your host app (LrC, C1P...etc.) is running native mode, all the plugins must also be native mode.

Maybe, just maybe we will see the complete Photo Plan package of apps update for native mode by Apple WWDC in early June. Hope springs eternal.

Thanks for the good input, I order a MacBook pro with M1 chip 16 Gb ram and 2 Tb HDD, then we'll see how it goes.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back