Catalogs Aperture import plug-in caused a populated LightroomMaster file: how to transfer to main directory

cokokiek

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hello,

In 2017 I activated the Aperture import plug-in in order to transfer all my local saved pictures (and all related stuff) to Lightroom. Everything worked fine afterwards, so there was no reason to dig into the -also locally saved- catalog system.

Today I want to transfer my pictures (not my catalog) to iCloud. Then I encountered and inspected the LightroomMasters directory, which is -organised by date- very populated with unique pictures. In the main structure, which also is organised according to date (year>month>day direcories), seem to be less pictures then in the LightroomMasters file. The latter is 95GB big, all together is approx. 160GB.

When I check this on picture/file level, I see there are directories of sometimes different dates and sometimes exactly the same dates (between the main structure and the LightroomMasters structure). But all pictures are unique.

I know I can deactivate the plug-in, but of course I am afraid to loose all Lightroom Masters pictures -although I have backups.

Therefore my question is: how to solve this in order that the transfer to iCloud will be a succes:
a) should I transfer the LightroomMaster pictures into the main directory system, before I transfer the main structure to iCloud, or
b) should I copy both directory structures (the main one and the Masters one) to iCloud?

I wonder how the catalog will solve this situation after the transfer to iCloud of course.

Please advice.

TIA

Cortjan/Cokokiek
MacOS High Sierra on a MBP; LR 6.14; 11k pictures

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
The plugin does not have to be deactivated. It does not do anything anymore. It only worked to transfer the images and edits from Aperture to Lightroom. The folder structure that was created then is just another folder structure containing images. It is in no way different from other folders containing other pictures.

cokokiek

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Thanks for this clarification.

Does this mean both folder structures containing unique pictures, which are on my hard drive, can be moved to iCloud where their separate existence continue in a way that Lightroom will not be fooled?
And if I perform this action from within Lightroom, the (one and only) catalog will not be compromised?

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I’m not an expert in iCloud. Lightroom needs locally stored images, so as long as there is a local copy (or something that fools Lightroom into thinking there is) there should not be a problem. Moving photos from within Lightroom will not compromise the catalog.