MamaK

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
I currently use LR 5.7, purchased outright, on my iMac with operating system (10.9.5) however my Mac is nearing the end of usage. Unfortunately I'm unable to update my iMac with the latest High Sierra operating system due to space/hard disk issues. I understand that LR 5.7 is NOT compatible with High Sierra. I will be purchasing a new iMac but I have no interest in subscribing to LR CC at this time. Can I migrate my current LR 5.7 catalog if I purchase the licensed version LR6 AND IS LR6 compatible with High Sierra?? Thank you in advance :)

Welcome to the forum.
LRv6.14 (the last update to LR6.x) is compatible with MacOS 10.13.x (High Sierra). Once installed, LR6 will copy and convert your LR5 catalog structure from your LR5 catalog file to the LR6 catalog structure in a duplicate LR6 catalog file. .

Thank you for the warm welcome and for your reply Cletus! I will proceed with the purchase of LR6 with confidence. I assume once I have purchased/downloaded LR6 it will prompt me to update to 6.14 ???

Thank you for the warm welcome and for your reply Cletus! I will proceed with the purchase of LR6 with confidence. I assume once I have purchased/downloaded LR6 it will prompt me to update to 6.14 ???
It may simply instal the update a part 2 of the install. I am not sure how Adobe currently is managing installed for non subscription products

I purchased the LR6 upgrade option. After installation I had to download the upgrade to 6.14
ok thanks, good to know! Do you run that LR6.14 version with 10.13.x High Sierra? If so, any crash issues?

Yes running LR6.14 on High Sierra on a Mid 2011 iMac no problems so far. LR 5.7 was crashing in develop mode with High Sierra and I think it was a video card/driver issue. However 6.14 is running fine so far. It has disabled graphics card acceleration. Don't find this a problem for my usage.

hey there... I am wondering if anyone here has ever had issues with not being able to retrieve a LR6 download after purchase? I am so frustrated with Adobe. I purchased the NON-subscription version from Adobe.com. I received an email with the download link but when I log into my account and click the download/serial number it just takes me to an ERROR page. I have contacted Adobe and have been on hold for 25 minutes;d I have also attempted a chat conversation in the Adobe site but it won't allow me to hit send (it's greyed out).... UGH not sure where to go from here. Payment has been made but no product has been delivered. I know this is simply a LR forum but wondering if anyone has ever had experience with this... TIA

Running LR 6.14 on 10.13.4 (High Sierra) on 2017 MBP without any issues.

Running LR 6.14 on 10.13.4 (High Sierra) on 2017 MBP without any issues.
Thanks for your reply & good to know you aren't having issues @pknoot Things seemed to be ok until I attempted to run a backup upon exiting LR6. It just gets "hung up" while checking the integrity, the process bar never moves and I let it set for about an hour. I ended up force quitting LR but need to look into this issue. Backups are crucial and I know the importance of them and right now it isn't allowing me to do so... (sigh)

Thanks for your reply & good to know you aren't having issues @pknoot Things seemed to be ok until I attempted to run a backup upon exiting LR6. It just gets "hung up" while checking the integrity, the process bar never moves and I let it set for about an hour. I ended up force quitting LR but need to look into this issue. Backups are crucial and I know the importance of them and right now it isn't allowing me to do so... (sigh)
Several things happen during the back up process. First, the integrity of the catalog (database) is checked. A Copy of the catalog is made in working storage. And it is this copy that eventually replaces the master catalog file. If your Primary drive does not have sufficient free space for temporary files then LR may simply hang at this step. I recommend a minimum of 1ooGB of free space on the volume named "Macintosh HD". This free space is required for the Swapfile (inactive RAM) as well as all of the temporary files that LR and other apps currently running need to function properly. In LR there is a sub menu item labeled "System Info..." on the Help menu. If you would copy and paste the contents of that dialog into your next reply, I'll have more information about your current system. I recommend a minimum of 16 GB of RAM although you can get by with as little as 8GB. I would also suggest that you reboot MacOS before attempting to backup LR the next time. This should clear out any residual processes that other apps might have generated and still clogging up the memory.

Thank you clee01.... here is the System info from LR :

Lightroom version: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]
License: Perpetual
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.13.4 [17E199]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.0 GHz
Built-in memory: 8,192.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 8,192.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1,480.8 MB (18.0%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 4,352.5 MB
Memory cache size: 603.9MB / 1,856.4MB (32.5%)
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 3
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 723MB / 4095MB (17%)
Displays: 1) 4096x2304

Graphics Processor Info:
AMD Radeon Pro 555 OpenGL Engine

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Version: 4.1 ATI-1.66.31
Renderer: AMD Radeon Pro 555 OpenGL Engine
LanguageVersion: 4.10

On other piece of information that I forgot to ask for: How much free space remains on the volume "Macintosh HD"? Do you have 100GB free for the Swapfile and all of the temporary file that LR needs to create? Your 8GB of RAM will let you run LR, However you can see that more than 4GB od LR application is being sent to the swapfile (Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 4,352.5 MB). Performance will improve if you had more RAM available to LR and all of the other apps running along side it.

On other piece of information that I forgot to ask for: How much free space remains on the volume "Macintosh HD"? Do you have 100GB free for the Swapfile and all of the temporary file that LR needs to create? Your 8GB of RAM will let you run LR, However you can see that more than 4GB od LR application is being sent to the swapfile (Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 4,352.5 MB). Performance will improve if you had more RAM available to LR and all of the other apps running along side it.

Thank you, I will check this when I get back to my computer. It shouldn't be a space issue. This is a brand new Mac with double space what my previous iMac had... and I never had any issues with backing up my LR catalog on that system. Thank you for your continued tips/advice, it is much appreciated!! I have not attempted a LR backup up since shutting down yesterday and rebooting, maybe a will give that a try,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back