• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The November 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes the ability to export the same photos as multiple sizes/formats in a single export, content aware fill for panorama edges and more. It does require a catalog format upgrade and there are updated system requirements, so you may want to wait a few days before upgrading.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options (such as TIFF format, renaming and color space), custom sort order on the desktop, copy/paste to multiple photos on iOS and more.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Anyone using BluRay for Archival Backups?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I've typically used CD's as an additional archival backup of all my photo files. However they are getting larger, harder to manage etc. Yes I do have multiple copies of all the pictures on hard drives, including at least one located in another city but an option I was considering is burning copies of everything onto 2 sets of BluRay disks. One would live here in the other building in my media safe and one in the other city in that media safe.

In the past as each new technology comes I've migrated all my files from that media to another. I've been through tape, Bernoulli Drives, WORM drives, floppies in 8 inch, 5.25 & 3.5, Zip drives and more. The no longer supported hardware collection in our garage could start another Computer Museum. ;) I've also typically verified that the software will work with the old files too. So that part is not a bother. I'm more concerned about experiences from people who have done that.

In my case it would be my "Oh Sh**" backup, the one in the event all the external hard drives died at once. Part of the 3 backups, on 2 media with at least 1 (in my case 2) offsite.

Any Comments?

Jimmsp

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
What sort of volume (GB) are we talking about?
Like you, I have a lot of old cds, old HDs, etc that I think may never see the light of day again.
I have taken the multi HD and multi site route for what I consider I want to preserve.

I have, and still am, considering a backup to the cloud, and let someone else deal with the changing technology.
Have you considered that?

tspear

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Depending on volume, I have used DAT professionally for years. And the tapes have been very stable and readable for a decade plus.
Otherwise, I have migrated to online storage and backups. I no longer find the hassle of switching media to be worth the savings.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
I gave up on using volatile media years ago. Magnetic tape and optical disk go obsolete pretty, quickly not to mention the short shelf life. I only archive on standard HDD drives and the cloud, expecting to make multiple copies and cycle out the media every 3-5 years.
I no longer have a computer that has a built in optical disk. I think this goes to show how quickly this optical technology is going to be obsolete. I don't think you would consider 3.5 or 5.25 floppies suitable today even if the capacity were there. Why would to consider an optical technology that may not run on your future OS in 3-5 years?

Cloud storage is reliable, has the capacity and is relative inexpensive. For $60USD per year there are cloud storage solutions that offer unlimited storage capacity.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
What sort of volume (GB) are we talking about?
.... have, and still am, considering a backup to the cloud, and let someone else deal with the changing technology.
Have you considered that?
At my last rough estimate something like 4 terabytes or so. Not sure exactly, My hard disk backups are on a group of 2TB drives and also on a 12TB server that's almost full but some of that is development stuff and my husband's stuff that might not need to be backed up in the same way.

We are very cloud averse, multiple issues, first is the incredibly slow Internet connection we have. We are in a rural area, using a wireless network connection. At best it would take about 200 days to load everything into the cloud running constantly. That was based on my latest speed tests for 4 TB of data going to Backblaze. I got slower results doing the same testing to Google Drive, CrashPlan or Amazon servers. It is unlikely we can keep a system up that long given our power issues even with our UPS systems. Esp this time of year with lightening. Now I didn't look at time or costs if I seeded the cloud by mailing a hard drive and then did only incremental backups I was just looking at what it would take to backup what I think I have right now to the cloud if I started today.

Second issue is security, now for pictures it may not be as big a deal butI've seen too many cloud systems come and go to feel comfortable with them. I don't like not being in control of my data.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud storage is reliable, has the capacity and is relative inexpensive. For $60USD per year there are cloud storage solutions that offer unlimited storage capacity.
The biggest issue is getting the data up there in the first place. It would take months to load it from our system because of slow Internet speeds.

Last edited:
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
[QUOTE="clee01l, post: 1194298, member: 7539"Cloud storage is reliable, has the capacity and is relative inexpensive. For $60USD per year there are cloud storage solutions that offer unlimited storage capacity.
The biggest issue is getting the data up there in the first place. It would take months to load it from our system because of slow Internet speeds.[/QUOTE]
You've already mentioned the option to seed the cloud storage with a disk drive. This is probably the most viable option I use Crashplan and internet speeds were ok though not optimal. Time was not critical and it took 2 months to upload 4TB of data. Satisfactory for me and my needs. Cloud solutions have improved and though there is no guarantee that your provider will be providing in the future, you are not like to be dropped suddenly as has happened earlier by not properly funded or equipped providers. Vendors like S3 will be around for the long haul but are an expensive solution.

Last edited:
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Crashplan web site is worthless, no info as it doesn't display on my browser properly. I looked for both there and at Backblaze to see if either one will allow me to send in hard drives to start the backup process but couldn't find any information.

tspear

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Very few companies allow you to send in disk drives. Backblaze, Crashplan and many others have almost no staff and just are not equipped for that.
I know Crashplan, Google Drive, and Microsoft One Drive, and owncloud all can continue where they left off. Even if it takes a year.... (my parents in a rural area).

If you have a real aversion to an online cloud solution; then here is a whole discussion about possible solutions:
DAT backup is effectively dead--should I try RDX? - Ars Technica OpenForum

I have not been on the Ars forums in a few years, but they used to be pretty good.