Anyone using a Wacom tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger the Shrubber

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hello, my first post. I have been using LR for a couple of years now (since V4) on my desktop machine and a mouse. Because it seems more intuitive and natural, I am seriously thinking of getting a Wacom Intuos Pro Small for post production in LR and PS, and would like to hear from those of you who are using a tablet, or tried one and went back to a mouse. I know there is a learning curve to surmount with these devices, and I am above average in tech know how and understanding, but not very artistic. Any helpful feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. Mods-wasn't sure which discussion this topic best fit, so please move if necessary.

I also started with Lr at V4, and also don't think of myself as the most artistic person either.
A few months ago I decided to try out a Wacom Pen & Touch small, with a refurb model from Amazon.
Probably not even 2 weeks later, I bought the Intuos Pro Small, and sent the other back.

'Nuff said. :)

Edit: OH.. You may also want to get the Classic Pen soon afterwards.. It's much lighter and it's nice to be able to choose between the 2 pens. You could also set the software to have different functions for each pen, if you want. I haven't exactly figured out what some of the included extra [different-style] nibs are for yet - but I figure they're probably more for people that are into drawing.

Last edited:
I also started with Lr at V4, and also don't think of myself as the most artistic person either.
A few months ago I decided to try out a Wacom Pen & Touch small, with a refurb model from Amazon.
Probably not even 2 weeks later, I bought the Intuos Pro Small, and sent the other back.

'Nuff said. :)

Edit: OH.. You may also want to get the Classic Pen soon afterwards.. It's much lighter and it's nice to be able to choose between the 2 pens. You could also set the software to have different functions for each pen, if you want. I haven't exactly figured out what some of the included extra [different-style] nibs are for yet - but I figure they're probably more for people that are into drawing.

Yeah, I tried a Bamboo (which Wacom bailed on and isn't even supported on their site now) that belonged to a friend. Bad idea implemented poorly. The Intuos looks like a nice solution, but it's a bit pricey for me. But, if you don't go, you don't know, right? Glad to hear from at least on user that it was a good choice. Do you find it that much better than a mouse? I'm so used to having one in my hand that switching to a pen (which, oddly enough, I've been using in ink form for decades) seems like going from right to left handed, if you know what I mean. I reckon it's a commitment to the learning curve. Sigh. Decisions....

Thanks.

There was definitely a learning curve, but not as bad as I thought.. And this is coming from someone with a disability that affects cognition, memory, fine motor control, and coordination among other things. I actually still use 2 different mice along both sides of the tablet, due to pain issues - and also use a pen mouse for using on my lap at times. When learning the tablet though, I pretty much used the tablet-only - to force myself to get used to it. But now that I've gotten used to it, I switch between all 4 input devices - with the tablet mostly for fine control (like adj brushes and whatnot). There's also great touch options to boot - so kinda like 5 input devices. It's amazing how usefull a better sized touchpad can be, as opposed to the ones built into laptops - I never would've called that in a million years.

It was a fairly hard decision to go with the Intuos Pro small, as I have no income right now, but the deciding factor was that the express keys and touch ring can ALL be placed on the left or right sides... unlike the other which had 4 buttons on both top sides - hard to use them if you're not fully ambidextrous. One thing that was disappointing though was that although the express keys respond to being touched (and not pressed) by showing what's assigned to them, you can't activate the functions that way. It would have been nice if simply touching them would activate the functions you assign them - or even to have that option per application.

But yeah.. For situations that call for finer control, like the adjustment brushes - the tablet is by far and away the best and only way to go. The pen mouse might be better than a regular mouse, but the tablet is better IMO.

Last edited:
Intuos is lovely, and I couldn't imagine using a computer without one now. HATE having to use a mouse now!! I'd just suggest you unplug your mouse and stick it in a drawer until you're comfortable with the pen, as you'll automatically go back to using it when you get frustrated. It's worth the effort to learn.

Intuos is lovely, and I couldn't imagine using a computer without one now. HATE having to use a mouse now!! I'd just suggest you unplug your mouse and stick it in a drawer until you're comfortable with the pen, as you'll automatically go back to using it when you get frustrated. It's worth the effort to learn.

Right. This is probably the only way I would be able to make the tablet my principal (or sole) method of input in LR. I remember the first time I used a mouse (1988); it took nearly no time at all to coordinate eye-hand-brain-screen, so I reckon the same is true for the pen, just a bit steeper learning curve. It may also get me off my butt to do the post I have been avoiding for some time now on images I like, but have never worked on.

I am another happy user of an Intuos Pro Small. However, rather like Hoggy, I use a mouse in my left hand and the pen in my right (made easier for me because I've always used a mouse left handed). I find that some actions seem easier that way, and I certainly continue to use the mouse for non-graphical work, documents and spreadsheets for example.

For me, the learning curve was rather long, I think it was the absolute positioning of the pen as opposed to the relative positioning of the mouse that I found difficult, but I am glad I stuck at it.

Dave

Great. This is all excellent feedback. I am still reticent, partly because I know that if I spring for the Intuos, it will push me out of my comfort zone and into making more time for post. That's not a bad thing, but I'm no spring chicken, and change come slowly to me. Still, it's great to hear from those of you who made the leap. I reckon I will too :mrgreen:

Well, I pulled the trigger on a certified factory refurb for under $200 (heck, I've dropped that much on an anniversary dinner and flowers :grin: ). Comes with all the trimmings and a year's warranty, so I count it as money well spent. Now, to train myself to use it. No time like the present....

(add lightbulb) be good to be able to use a pen on the laptop pad :nod: . Or have a pad instead of the numbers on the rhs of a keyboard (or lappy)

They make keyboards with integrated touch pads, but that never appealed to me. Now, my backlit mechanical KB? Love it....

I've seen pen tablet users in LR or PS never touch a keyboard or mouse. Dunno if I'll get there, but it's a worthy challenge.

I have Wacom and find it invaluable for PS work, but oddly enough, even though I set it up on LR, I never use it. Somehow LR just does't lend itself for tablet use. At least not for me.

I have Wacom and find it invaluable for PS work, but oddly enough, even though I set it up on LR, I never use it. Somehow LR just does't lend itself for tablet use. At least not for me.

Hmmm, well, I used it on LR last night for some local adjustments with the brush and masking, and it worked much better than the mouse. Much more precise and natural feeling (especially the pressure sensitivity controlling flow). I can see where, in PS, it would be ideal for drawing and sketch work, but all my needs are photographic, so I'm aiming to find out if the cost is justified by the usability.

This is from personal experience.
I'd recommend a XP-Pen DECO 01 digital pad .
(I'v been using it for almost 2 years now without any issues.)

Deco 01- xp-pen

It's a Pen tablet without screen .

Huion is a cheaper alternative to Wacom products. (they're pretty good quality too)
I'm sure they have newer models better than the DECO 01 by now.
I know they have the Artist line monitor tablets too. (which would be a lot expensive than a normal tablet but you can draw directly on the screen .)

I hope this could be of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back