• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Anyone using a 3rd gen Threadripper (e.g. 3970x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linwood Ferguson

Linwood Ferguson
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Thinking of getting one of these primarily for Pixinsight, since it scales well with cores.

Anyone use the 3rd gen of Threadrippers with Classic? Good, bad, etc?

Thank you, I had read those, even used their base layouts to configure a system. I'm still not sure if their benchmarks represent real life.

I have ordered the parts and hope to put a system together. Except for a GPU -- the whole criminal enterprise that is crypto-currency has really messed up the GPU market at the moment.

Thanks for the pointer though. The dearth of comments must mean most users here have not gone that path.

Too many benchmarks are based on gaming so it's nice to see some data on scenarios other than that. I don't know them but I do appreciate the effort they put into testing all this and creating benchmarks for Lightroom, Photoshop, Adobe and other software suites.

Attachments

• pic_disp.jpg
    pic_disp.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 139
Absolutely, much better than gaming, or the flops type. I think what's difficult about lightroom is, for most of us I think, it is about being responsive to our mouse movements and clicks. While I do care how fast it exports, it's way down on the list compared to how responsive brush strokes are, and how well slider changes show up and how fast. I know Puget tries to measure that, I am just not sure it is there yet.

Reactions: pfs
Absolutely, much better than gaming, or the flops type. I think what's difficult about lightroom is, for most of us I think, it is about being responsive to our mouse movements and clicks. While I do care how fast it exports, it's way down on the list compared to how responsive brush strokes are, and how well slider changes show up and how fast. I know Puget tries to measure that, I am just not sure it is there yet.
I just tried using the benchmark tool on my lightroom laptop and it's interesting what it does test. It's better than other at least. Good luck on the build, problem I'm running into is even finding the AMD chips and components I wanted so I had to settle for a prebuilt Intel machine

I have recently built a workstation with the fastest components I could find, incl very fast Pcie4 M2 drives, 64 GB of fast memory and using the 5900x AMD processor. I am awaiting delivery of a 4k screen, so still only using a 1k screen. I opted for this processor on price/performance basis...

I was expecting much better performance, can see some things are definitely faster, but like Ferguson, I am not that interested in the batch processing aspects.... As soon as I get my new 4k screen I will look closer at performance metrics... All intuitive and non scientific at this stage.

Yeah, I have a 4k laptop (that is not used for photography) but have resisted upgrading my old NEC monitors, as I keep hearing so many stories of lousy performance. Well, that and they are expensive and these work fine.

Although one of these has only DVI and VGA, no DP, so if I get a new GPU I may be screwed on that one.

I avoid having two monitors attached that are either different size and/or resolution, because when I drag an image or document from one screen to the other it screws up my brain and i have to re acclimatize to the resolution of the document on a different screen. I therefore opted for a 32 inch screen...... which arrived 30 mins ago. The box is huge..... hope for practical reasons the 32 inch screen is not too big. Also, I felt there was no real point in me making remarks about performance until I am using a 4k screen.

Have you used one? I've had really bad luck with converters like that, I tried HDMI to DP for a rPi for example, never got it to do anything, also others in the deeper past that I forget the details of. Very mixed results.

I'm running HDMI to DVI, and I'm totally happy with it. Ditto with DP to DVI. I have two older Samsung monitors with only DVI input and a GTX-1660 card with one HDMI and two DP outputs, so I am running both kinds of cables.

I got one, and have spent the last few days rebuilding PC's (this was a domino type thing where it was a home automation computer that failed and I decided to push my desktop down to replace it and replace my desktop).

It is much faster.

Lightroom does not NEARLY consume all resources. I rebuilt all my previews for example, and left it idle for a while, and it averaged around 25% CPU busy, the disk (NVMe gen 4) never seemed to get out of the single digits, never got over about 25g of memory. So it built pretty fast, but LR appears not to be able to consume available resources. Or they have chosen to limit it pretty severely.

And I HATE what happens after you move to a new computer, virtually all (but not all) of the 60,000 or so images I have on Smugmug got flagged to republish. Sigh....

Anyway, I got the 3970x mostly for other reasons, e.g. Pixinsight, but I think I'd stop at 16 cores or so if you are looking to speed up lightroom, it can't seem to handle 32. Not that it runs poorly on it, it just doesn't use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back