• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Anyone know of any photo library mgmt software alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodge&burn

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I am looking for a simple digital photo mgmt system that doesn't have all the bells n whistles of LR. I don't need full featured editing tools. I am simply looking for a system that I can search for specific photos in my library and be able to do it not only locally on my servers but remotely as well. (web based). Anyone familiar with Grrsystems or Canto? Any advice much appreciated....especially from Cletus! Thank you.

There is a famous quote that Churchill repeated, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others"

I feel that way about Lightroom sometimes, it is the worst photo library and organizing and editing tool, except all the others.

You might want to write down some of your important requirements:
* ingest and culling tools (how important)
* keywording and ratings, folders and collections
* how do you want to search
* exporting / social media

I would be interested in what you come up with, I have not tried the ones you mentioned.

I am looking for a simple digital photo mgmt system that doesn't have all the bells n whistles of LR. I don't need full featured editing tools. I am simply looking for a system that I can search for specific photos in my library and be able to do it not only locally on my servers but remotely as well. (web based). Anyone familiar with Grrsystems or Canto? Any advice much appreciated....especially from Cletus! Thank you.
Canto is probably a bit to involved and costly. Not my favorite, but I have also used ACDSEE. A lot of my peers love this software. My question is, what is it that LR is not accomplishing for your workflow.

As @clee01l mentioned iMatch meets your requirements. It even has a web version available, but I have not checked the prices for the feature or technical requirements.
Within the Adobe world, you might look at the new Lightroom CC, which is cloud based, and allows editing on multiple devices. Further it does not offer as many development and configuration tools as LightRoom Classic.

There is a famous quote that Churchill repeated, "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others"

I feel that way about Lightroom sometimes, it is the worst photo library and organizing and editing tool, except all the others.

You might want to write down some of your important requirements:
* ingest and culling tools (how important)
* keywording and ratings, folders and collections
* how do you want to search
* exporting / social media

I would be interested in what you come up with, I have not tried the ones you mentioned.
OK....thanks! I'll try to circle back and let you know what i come up with.

As @clee01l mentioned iMatch meets your requirements. It even has a web version available, but I have not checked the prices for the feature or technical requirements.
Within the Adobe world, you might look at the new Lightroom CC, which is cloud based, and allows editing on multiple devices. Further it does not offer as many development and configuration tools as LightRoom Classic.
OK....thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back