• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

anybody seeing hidden system volumes in the Import dialog on macOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kimballistic

Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  2. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  3. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hello all. When I go to import new images, Lightroom's Import dialog shows a long list of hidden system volumes and hidden APFS snapshots that no other application shows. It's been doing this intermittently for a few years now across multiple macOS major versions.

I'm getting a lot of heat in the photoshop.com forum from a certain member who is convinced I have screwed up my own system, but they're unable to explain how it's screwed up.

I don't care if this is my fault or Apple's fault or Adobe's fault. I don't care about fault. I'm just looking for a solution and a constructive conversation about it.

Anybody have any ideas? Thank you.

(all the @snap entries below are technically snapshots of volumes, not volumes themselves as I've labeled them. but you get the idea)

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.08.29 AM.png

Yes. I saw it for a little while, only on my Catalina OS computer, not on the Mojave one. Went away either after a LR update or a reboot, I don't remember which. Haven't seen it since, but it was a bit odd.

There is a heated discussion here (maybe that's you?), but no real answers either. The 'Time Machine@snap-xxxxx' volumes are not real volumes, they are Time Machine snapshots. I believe they are stored on your hard disk if the Time Machine backup disk is unavailable for a while. Why they show in the import dialog is another question, just like the other hidden system volumes, but you can safely ignore them. There is nothing wrong with your computer, and there is nothing wrong with Lightroom.

Yes. I saw it for a little while, only on my Catalina OS computer, not on the Mojave one. Went away either after a LR update or a reboot, I don't remember which. Haven't seen it since, but it was a bit odd.

Thanks Rusty for confirming I'm not alone or crazy! I've also seen it intermittently. There are posts that I've now found on photoshop.com going back 3 years, with no clear solution.

There is a heated discussion here (maybe that's you?), but no real answers either.

Haha yup, that's me. I've been trying to recover the discussion from the initial hysteria and finger pointing.

The 'Time Machine@snap-xxxxx' volumes are not real volumes, they are Time Machine snapshots. I believe they are stored on your hard disk if the Time Machine backup disk is unavailable for a while. Why they show in the import dialog is another question, just like the other hidden system volumes, but you can safely ignore them. There is nothing wrong with your computer, and there is nothing wrong with Lightroom.
Generally speaking, agreed. "Wrong" is probably too strong a word to apply to Lightroom or my installation of macOS, but I'd be happy labeling this as "unintended behavior" that Adobe might want to take a look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back