Anybody else confirmed this issue with LR 4 install over existing LR3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would suggest backing up and asking yourself why (or whether) you really want to do a batch conversion from PV2010 to PV2012. I personally wouldn't recommend it, even though I feel PV2012 is better in the vast majority of cases.

I would suggest backing up and asking yourself why (or whether) you really want to do a batch conversion from PV2010 to PV2012. I personally wouldn't recommend it, even though I feel PV2012 is better in the vast majority of cases.

If it's better in the vast majority of cases, isn't that reason to do it?

It's better in the vast majority of cases if you take the time to re-edit from scratch. In those cases I'm working image-by-image anyway, so no reason to do a bulk update. As I revisit old files for whatever reason, I'll generally make a VC and start again with PV2012 to see if I can make it better than I was able to with PV2010.

One tip if you use the reg hack to get 'edit in' to work, then make sure you turn off the any programs that automatically clean up your registry, for example Tune Up as they will delete the entry as it does not find the relevant software.

I think that someone else was me. :crazy:

Ooooooops, could be! Things are blurring somewhat at the moment!!

I was assuming I should use a "no adjustments" smart collection to batch convert PV2010 to PV2012 -- but if doing so counts as an adjustment when the next PV comes out, then I won't be able to perform a similar batch conversion.

When the next PV comes out, just add them to a collection before you upgrade if you're concerned.

When the next PV comes out, just add them to a collection before you upgrade if you're concerned.

Ha, brilliant!

Given that I would almost certain forget by then, I'd probably create the collection at the time I convert, leaving:

1) Create Smart Collection with: [Has Adustments][False] and [Type][Video][False]

2) Add those files to a Collection "Batch Converted PV 2010 > 2012"

3) Convert them to PV 2012

fwiw, the reason I want to convert is that: 1) I trust that PV 2012 is an improvement over 2010, and 2) I tend to go back through older files, and it would be helpful to not have to convert them one-by-one.

I have a LR3 catalogue of 5000 images and still have LR3 installed - which will remain in place - and I don't see the need to upgrade it to LR4. If need be I will load it into LR3. Start over anew - as stated above - with unedited images in LR4 and catalogue them. I see people on other forums bitching about this "problem" and honestly I don't see it as a problem. Even when using PS I would never import an edited image that didn't "look good" and try to improve it . Just re edit it from scratch.

I am hoping someone can clarify something for me on the point curve thing...

My understanding is that doing things like changing the tone curve from "Medium Contrast" to "High Contrast" will carry over from LR3 to LR4, but if I do something custom it will not carry over. Is that correct? Or do any and all changes in the Tone Curve panel get lost?

Thanks...

bwir,

My tests show that the following adjustments DO NOT get carried over into develop of LR4 upon conversion:
  • Point Curve Type set to anything other than Linear on JPEGs
  • Point Curve Type set to anything other than Medium Contrast for Raws
  • Changes done to the point curve which lead to the Point Curve Type set to "Custom"

Parametric changes to the point curve (sliders Highlights, Lights, Darks and Shadows) do get carried over in conversion.

Beat

I'm not sure I understand the problem or if there is one. I just converted a catalog of ~15000 images Some have beed extensively edited in LR3 And I'm sure there are a few edited with LR2 So I have these Process 2003 and Process 2010. On conversion the Process is still 2010 and the tone curve and adjustment sliders are still where I expect them to be. If I convert any to Process 2012 I get a linear tone curve and the Tone sliders change to reflect the new fields. This should be expected, after all the 2012 Process has a completely different approach. If I leave the image with the original history and the process is still 2010. My image looks like it did in LR3. Nothing changed. With LR4 I can keep the image as they have been finaled or I can reprocess (and improve upon) what was already a pretty good image. Now am I missing something in the description of the problem or is there no problem?

So I have several dozen images where I did quite a bit of adjustments with the tone curve, i.e. creating points on the line and shifting things up or down and left and right. If I understand what you are saying, and what I got from the DPReview review, they will be just fine as long as I don't click on the ! and update to process 2012. In fact, I could continue to work on them using process 2010. Is that correct?

If that's the case, then I'm fine -- I just have to remember to create a new virtual image if I want to try out 2012 on a 2010 image. If I am correct in my assumption that I can work on two different virtual images from the same master, one in 2010 and one in 2012. Is this true?

Certainly a lot of other good things to make it worth while, like dealing with my .mts files.

Thanks,
Brandon

SIf I understand what you are saying, and what I got from the DPReview review, they will be just fine as long as I don't click on the ! and update to process 2012. In fact, I could continue to work on them using process 2010. Is that correct?

If that's the case, then I'm fine -- I just have to remember to create a new virtual image if I want to try out 2012 on a 2010 image. If I am correct in my assumption that I can work on two different virtual images from the same master, one in 2010 and one in 2012. Is this true?

Yes, you've got it right. Alternately, if you can wait, it is likely that LR4.1 will fix the point-curve-in-upgraded-catalogs problem completely whenever it arrives. So there's little need to go out of your way to do anything special here -- the Virtual Copy approach works for now if you need to work on old files that had a point curve in PV2010.

Yes, you've got it right. Alternately, if you can wait, it is likely that LR4.1 will fix the point-curve-in-upgraded-catalogs problem completely whenever it arrives. So there's little need to go out of your way to do anything special here -- the Virtual Copy approach works for now if you need to work on old files that had a point curve in PV2010.

It appears the part about being able to continue to work with 2010 process is not correct. I had an image that I'd greatly modified a virtual copy of, it looked ok as a thumbnail, I clicked on it and made another virtual copy. That copy lost all the tone curve adjustments I'd made, as expected. Well, no, I expected the new virtual copy to come up with the !, but still have the 2010 process applied. It did not. And when I opened the initial virtual copy in develop, all the tone curve adjustments went away, even though they had been showing on the thumbnail, and they show in the loupe version of of that virtual copy.

I had the impression from somewhere that there would be a drop down or context menu associated with the ! button that would allow you to choose which process to apply, 2010 or 2012. I don't see that. I do see that once you click the !, you get a new develop panel. In other words. once you click !, the next dialog box commits the change(s) and you can't go back. If you want to retain the 2010 image, you can not touch it with the developer ever again, right? Is there a way to lock an image to prevent further development?

Thanks,

You can continue to work with PV2010 - just don't click the !. If you want to go back, click in the history panel to get to an earlier step. If you're affected by the tone curve bug, the 4.1RC released yesterday should fixed the history.

You can continue to work with PV2010 - just don't click the !. If you want to go back, click in the history panel to get to an earlier step. If you're affected by the tone curve bug, the 4.1RC released yesterday should fixed the history.

I'm thinking it probably best to wait until clicking on check for updates shows me something available. Perhaps it will be 4.1.1 and have the facebook fix as well.

I was assuming I should use a "no adjustments" smart collection to batch convert PV2010 to PV2012 -- but if doing so counts as an adjustment when the next PV comes out, then I won't be able to perform a similar batch conversion.
I would recommend against any batch conversion of PV2010 images. Since PV2012 is so different in its approach you basically are needing to manually reprocess each image since the Tone adjustment parameters are very different. If you leave PV2010 images in PV2010, your images still look as good as they did in LR3.x While PV2012 can improve most PV2010 images, it is not necessary if you were a satisfied customer using LR3.x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back