• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Anybody else confirmed this issue with LR 4 install over existing LR3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mostly do not use curves, so a related question -- is there any way to search for photos where I DID use the curves as opposed to the defaults?

So far all of my shots look fine in LR4, but I had used (heavily) the sliders for highlights, etc., but not changed the underlying tone curve. I'd be curious to find some where I had (if any), is there an easy way?

The unfortunate part would be converting 3 catalogs of over 30,000 photos only to discover the tonal curves were lost resulting in spending a fair amount of an evening restoring to 3.6. Adobe REALLY missed this big time. So far, my $79 has been wasted on a non-usable upgrade.

The unfortunate part would be converting 3 catalogs of over 30,000 photos only to discover the tonal curves were lost resulting in spending a fair amount of an evening restoring to 3.6. Adobe REALLY missed this big time. So far, my $79 has been wasted on a non-usable upgrade.

How does it take a long time to convert, the old catalog is there, the old program is still there, you just run it. The only thing lost is the previews (well, and any work you did in LR4).

I think they may have missed in shipping it if this is a bug, but the non-destructive nature of the upgrade and ability to run (albiet not simultaneously) both versions on the same computer really reduces the risk. I'm not being an apologist for Adobe, but I do think that people are claiming a lot of damage that really hasn't occurred. Damage to Adobe's ego (let's hope!), a lesson learned to stop disabling catalog conversion during betas (let's REALLY hope), but unless you deleted manually and didn't back up your old catalog, nothing is gone.

Now finding this out 6 months into using LR4.....

Does this also impact images that used presets like Direct Positive?

ie, will all of my images that used Direct Positive automatically look not as expected, even without moving them to the new process?

You can install the trial version. It won't replace your LR3, and you can test all you want. It would be a good idea to import copies of the images you test with, rather than your originals.

Hal

Thanks again -- though if all my curves are going to be reset, I'd probably just as soon wait.

It seems like whether this is a real issue should come out soon enough: either all curves are reset with LR4, or perhaps it's just a false alarm.

I'm still getting up to speed with LR, so for me it just helps to know if I should wait.

Thanks again -- though if all my curves are going to be reset, I'd probably just as soon wait.

It seems like whether this is a real issue should come out soon enough: either all curves are reset with LR4, or perhaps it's just a false alarm.

I'm still getting up to speed with LR, so for me it just helps to know if I should wait.
I'm not sure I understand the problem or if there is one. I just converted a catalog of ~15000 images Some have beed extensively edited in LR3 And I'm sure there are a few edited with LR2 So I have these Process 2003 and Process 2010. On conversion the Process is still 2010 and the tone curve and adjustment sliders are still where I expect them to be. If I convert any to Process 2012 I get a linear tone curve and the Tone sliders change to reflect the new fields. This should be expected, after all the 2012 Process has a completely different approach. If I leave the image with the original history and the process is still 2010. My image looks like it did in LR3. Nothing changed. With LR4 I can keep the image as they have been finaled or I can reprocess (and improve upon) what was already a pretty good image. Now am I missing something in the description of the problem or is there no problem?

I just did a controlled test and cannot see the same bug.

I did this:

1) Created a new catalog with v 3.6
2) Imported a NEF (no XMP)
3) Set the tone curve to wacky values, no other changes (+100, -100, +100, -100)
4) Exited, started LR 4
5) Imported (Add) that shot
6) Looked at it in Develop, the tone curves were as set, the image looked right (ie wacky), and the process was 2010.
7) Changed (via the drop down not the exclamation) to process 2012, tone curve stayed the same

This was on Windows 7 x 64 bit.

Am I missing something or is that what is supposed to fail?

I haven't tried to reproduce it, but I believe the bug only affects the point curve, not the parametric curve. Try repeating that test but set the point curve to something wacky rather than setting the parametric curve sliders.

I haven't tried to reproduce it, but I believe the bug only affects the point curve, not the parametric curve. Try repeating that test but set the point curve to something wacky rather than setting the parametric curve sliders.

OK, that did it, but it is not as straightforward as it loosing the settings, it is munging them. I started with the point curve on the left, when I opened LR4 it showed the one in the middle, but the image was still horrible -- it had not applied the relatively flat contrast curve. When I opened the panel I got the sliders positioned as shown (though I did not use the sliders to produce it).

The good news personally is I don't think I ever used the point curve here, I would have been in Photoshop if I were doing that. I might have rarely used the sliders but at least at first glance they are preserved. But yes, it does look like adobe has quite a bug here in the catalog conversion.

EDIT: Ignore the part about the parametric curve being different, I had not realized that doing the point curve was in addition to the parametric curve, I thought one overrode the other. The right panel is thus the holdover of the first test I did, and not an indication that the conversion from point curve affected parametric. Sorry. But the corruption of the point curve is certainly there, as is (below) the ability to use metadata reads to get it back.

Panels.jpg

Last edited:
I did discover one more thing. If before leaving LR3.6 I did a "write metadata" and in LR4 after it loads (incorrectly) I do a "read metadata" the curve comes back from LR3.6. So the issue is in the upgrade itself, apparently LR4 is able to deal with the point curve conversion (or non-conversion) OK, just not through the upgrade process. In other words at the middle panel able when I did a Read Metadata in LR4, it immediately changed back to the left panel.

Not necessarily the right answer for a workaround, I'm not sure I would want to trust doing a WRITE and READ on every photo (especially since the "write" is a bit asynchronous and I've never been quite completely sure when it was "done" despite the progress bar).

I don't really edit the Point Curve in LR either -- but I was curious if any of the Develop Presets do -- I just checked a bunch, and all the ones I looked at either leave the Point Curve at the default Medium Contrast, or set it to Linear (which I'm going to assume is well-handled by the conversion).

Also, from what I understand, if LR4 munges your Point Curve, I believe you can use the History Panel to step back.

I wasn't too clear regarding the amount of time I spent restoring to 3.6. Made a bad decision early in the process (since all the other upgrades had worked flawlessly) to do a complete program backup via Norton, run the upgrade, delete the old 3.6 THEN start to play in LR4 - oops! Well, never again. So I had to do a restore the hard way - dumb... then spent the rest of the evening experimenting. Not real comfortable with the idea of sidecars but this maybe the solution via the update file metadata process. Think I'm going to wait for a true solution via Adobe then transition to LR4, and this time the smart way! :rolleyes:

I haven't really tested this issue myself, nor have I followed the issue closely, but you might want to have a read of this post over at photoshop.com. The poster seems to have performed some serious testing.

Beat

Unbelievable.

Iv'e just read this and associated forums highlighting this issue. Got home and BANG, my 25,000 image catalogue has lost all tone curve adjstments.

Politely....WTF!

Note also - although tone adjstments are logged iin the history, clickiing them makes the image change appropriately, however nothing happen to the line on the tone curve adjstment panel.

Oh boy...

Yet another issue in that edit in does not work, loads of chatter on the net that nik products no longer work. Only solution at this time appears to be to download pse 10 and for some reason everything works again.

Yet another issue in that edit in does not work...

Got any specifics on that, Chris? Do you just mean with the Nik products, or more generally? I have no problem using "Edit in Photoshop CS5", or indeed with the CS3 version.

Last edited:
As far as I understand the issue occurs on both Windows and Mac, and also for non-Nik plug-ins. Having other Photoshop applications installed seems to make the edit-in work. It works fine for me with Viveza 2, but I also have PSE9 installed.

Beat

Thanks for the links, sure seems that there's a problem of some sorts there, though pinning it down may be a bit more difficult....if it was broken for everyone it would be easier, but the fact that it isn't will likely make problem determination somewhat more difficult. Same with the main problem in this thread.....why have some folks had zero problems with the upgrade, but plenty of others have had major issues?

I've been wondering if uninstalling the beta prior to installing LR4 final had any influence. I did do the uninstall, and everything (including performance) has worked fine. Did you use the beta at all, and if so did you uninstall before installing the LR4 final?

Hi Jim, never used the beta went straight from 3.6 to 4. May try downloading pse 10 as a trial later to see if it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back