• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Any way to sync Lightroom Folders as Collection Sets in Lightroom Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
current
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm working with a client migrating his lightroom catalog to Lightroom classic, by turning on sync.

Collections synk, but not the "albums". Is there any way of syncing the albums to maintain his collection organization, or must at all be done manually?

Similarly to importing keywords, is there a way of importing collection sets from a text file?

Thanks,

Reid

Not following you here, Reid. Collections in LrC are the same as Albums in Lr and they sync to each other, i.e. create a collection in LrC and sync it, and it appears as an album in Lr. Similarly, create an album in Lr and it syncs to LrC where it appears as a collection. If your client can't see the albums as collections in LrC, have them look for a "From Lightroom" Collection Set in the LrC Collections panel, all the collections synced from albums in Lr should be listed in that collection set.

What does NOT sync are Collections Sets from LrC and their equivalent "Folders" in Lr, they have to be organised manually to match each other if required.

That's what I meant, Collections Sets/Folders. Would be nice if Adobe choose one name and were consistent.

Similarly to importing keywords, is there a way of importing collection sets from a text file?

Thanks, and similarly, keywords don't sync between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom?

That's right, they don't.

Thanks, and similarly, keywords don't sync between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom?

The sync process is one way one time from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom. Hierarchies do not sync as Lightroom only supports a flat keyword of one level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, I don't see that it's only one way. I entered keywords in Lightroom Classic and don't see them in Lightroom

Thanks, I don't see that it's only one way.
It's only one-way when you first migrate from LRC to LR. After that, keywords don't transfer at all in either direction.

Thanks. That explains it since I believe I imported it into Lightroom first

It's only one-way when you first migrate from LRC to LR. After that, keywords don't transfer at all in either direction.
More than just migration, Hal. It is possible to transfer existing keywords from LrC to the cloud via the normal sync process, but it's a one-time, one-way deal. It requires:

1. There not be an existing Smart Preview in the LrC catalog for the image that the user intends to sync.
2. Metadata to be written to XMP before marking the image to sync.

In that situation, the smart preview that LrC generates specifically for syncing will include the XMP metadata which Lightroom then reads and assimilates both any keywords and any location data (both of these do not normally sync). If there is a pre-existing smart preview in the catalog (which is unlikely to contain saved metadata), LrC uses a copy of that for uploading, rather than creating a new one...thus no transfer of keywords/location data in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back