• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Any way to compare the photos in two (or more) different collections - or did I make things too complicated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
In my recent book and then slideshow work, I was using the Quick Collection as the source for the book or slideshow. The pictures in the Quick Collection were all the photos in my "3 star rated photos that are "current" (keyword). So as I made changes to the photos that I rated 3-stars, I had to constantly do maintenance on the Quick Collection.

I should mention that the Quick Collection contained a few photos that were not "current" in my overall workflow.

I have to say that I rarely use the Quick Collection, as basically it works the same as any other 'Standard' collection in the Collections panel. (although there are keyboard shortcuts specific to the 'Quick' collection).
As any 'Standard' collection can be made to be the 'Targeted' collection, I find them more useful as 'targeted', and easier to find- in the Collections panel.
"...to compare the photos..." in what way?
You can select multiple collections (hold [Ctrl] as you select each) so as to see all photos in those collections combined in the one Grid view and then Compare two images side-by-side visually, or check badges for rating, etc.

I had the impression that the book module and the slideshow module are set up to use the contents of the Quick Collection as their source. If not, then I could use one of my smart collections.

My ideal comparison of collections would be a loupe-like split screen, each side with a grid view of one of the collections. Of course, there are ways to do that now, but this ideal comparison would be quicker. It might also help people test out criteria for different smart collections.

Phil

I had the impression that the book module and the slideshow module are set up to use the contents of the Quick Collection as their source. If not, then I could use one of my smart collections.
Quick Collection for Books and Slide-shows? Not necessarily. Any Collection can be used, or even start a Book from selected photos in a Folder, or All Photographs view.

ScreenShot252.jpg

So Yes, you can use a Smart Collection to START a new Book, but when the Book Module opens with the selected photos from the Smart Collection you must [Create a Saved Book Collection] and always return to editing the Book from this Saved Book Collection. (Note the 'Book' icon against Book Collections-
ScreenShot253.jpg

And if you want to add more photos to a Book, after having started it, you just add them to this Saved Book Collection.

Quick Collection for Books and Slide-shows? Not necessarily. Any Collection can be used, or even start a Book from selected photos in a Folder, or All Photographs view.

View attachment 13049
So Yes, you can use a Smart Collection to START a new Book, but when the Book Module opens with the selected photos from the Smart Collection you must [Create a Saved Book Collection] and always return to editing the Book from this Saved Book Collection. (Note the 'Book' icon against Book Collections-
View attachment 13050
And if you want to add more photos to a Book, after having started it, you just add them to this Saved Book Collection.
So this point gets to the root of my question. Let's say that as I DEVELOP photos, I change keywords or ratings such that the Smart Collection changes. Because I can't tie the Book or Slide Show directly to that Smart Collection, I would like a convenient way to compare that Smart Collection against the Saved Book.

This concern is not just hypothetical. When I was working on my recently completed Slide Show, the Smart Collection that was the basis of that Slide Show did change contents. But I forgot to reflect those changes in the saved Slide Show.

IMO Smart Collections are useful to start a Book or SS, but only to "Start".
But once a SS is Exported , or a book Printed, I consider them "finished"- Make it, Bake it!
So I have never seen the need to compare an "ever changing" SC with a Standard or Saved Collection that I know is of my making.

If you always work from SCs then I consider your projects are never finished, always in the "making", so why a need to compare anything.
I guess you need a workflow that works for you, but I do not have an answer for 'comparing SCs with other Collections".

IMO Smart Collections are useful to start a Book or SS, but only to "Start".
But once a SS is Exported , or a book Printed, I consider them "finished"- Make it, Bake it!
So I have never seen the need to compare an "ever changing" SC with a Standard or Saved Collection that I know is of my making.

If you always work from SCs then I consider your projects are never finished, always in the "making", so why a need to compare anything.
I guess you need a workflow that works for you, but I do not have an answer for 'comparing SCs with other Collections".
My project was finished, but maybe my workflow wasn't entirely clear. First I assembled the raw images into the slide show, then I did edits. In course I doing edits, I found some photos that were out of focus or not well-composed, so I dropped them down to 1 or 2 stars. Then I looked for similar images from the same sequence, that I might promote to 3 stars. This entire process was completed in just one day. And the Slide Show has been sent off to family members.

And why not creating a (temporarily) normal collection while making the book? Right after or before creating the slide show (or even instead).
You can drop in or out during this period images as you like.
When the book is finished, you can delete it when you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back