• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Any pitfalls migrating from Classic to LR cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevpeace

Lightroom Version Number
Latest
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Currently I am using both programs synching between them. So I have Albums set up in Lrcloud already some nested in folders. I don’t always synch all from my classic catalog.
So can anyone give me any tips that will avoid obvious pitfalls that there may be.
Would it be better to reset my collections in classic and get rid of my present album/folder structure in my cloud LR.
Thanks

Conversion is fine even with some stuff already in the cloud. Just make sure you read through the migration lesson in the Edit Like a Pro book to make sure you’ve covered all bases before you move.

And stating the obvious, of course make sure it’s the right move for you. It was for me but it’s not for everyone.

Lots of pitfalls. I did this a year ago.
So here are the big items:
  1. If you are going to change your workflow (I used Smart Collections in Classic to manage the steps to manage my processing, in Cloud I use folders); make sure to work it out before migrating.
  2. It is fairly simple to do a test migration, wipe all data in the cloud and do it again. I did this a lot to work through my processes, questions and everything else. Let me know if you need details.
  3. There are some aspects much easier in Classic. e.g. I had some legacy images which had not been re-organized and updated. There was important meta-data in the folder structures. This gets lost migrating to Cloudy. My solution was to use plugins in Classic to sort/add the data into Classic before migrations.
Tim

Great tips Tim!

1. If you are going to change your workflow (I used Smart Collections in Classic to manage the steps to manage my processing, in Cloud I use folders); make sure to work it out before migrating.
  2. It is fairly simple to do a test migration, wipe all data in the cloud and do it again. I did this a lot to work through my processes, questions and everything else. Let me know if you need details.
  3. There are some aspects much easier in Classic. e.g. I had some legacy images which had not been re-organized and updated. There was important meta-data in the folder structures. This gets lost migrating to Cloudy. My solution was to use plugins in Classic to sort/add the data into Classic before migrations.
Tim
Thanks, for your suggestions , this gives me a good path to try. As this is just a hobby, I have the time to experiment.

Hi, no answers but more questions...

Does the LR catalog need to empty before migrating the LRC catalogue?

For the migration itself, if I don't have enough room on my existing HDD, I could choose an external HDD as my LR local folder? In this case, LR would copy them onto ext HDD as part of it's upload to the cloud - then delete them after. That said - I'd like to keep local files back on my internal SSD once the move to LR is complete - does that end up with me having to reset LR back to internal drive and then download them all again? (i.e., I upload >100GB only to download it all again?)

Maybe I'm better culling my LRC catalog back to folders where I know I have lots of edits (vs family etc) and migrate that. Then manually add all the other photos?
Finally - any tips for good printing apps if Iose the ability to print from LRC?

Thanks.

Tim
Presumably to wipe data from the cloud is just a matter of going via the cloud app and deleting all in the LR
Thanks, for your suggestions , this gives me a good path to try. As this is just a hobby, I have the time to experiment.

Tim
Yes would appreciate details. Thanks.

Contact Adobe, they gave me three months free to do the test conversion.

Tim

Hi, no answers but more questions...

Does the LR catalog need to empty before migrating the LRC catalogue?

For the migration itself, if I don't have enough room on my existing HDD, I could choose an external HDD as my LR local folder? In this case, LR would copy them onto ext HDD as part of it's upload to the cloud - then delete them after. That said - I'd like to keep local files back on my internal SSD once the move to LR is complete - does that end up with me having to reset LR back to internal drive and then download them all again? (i.e., I upload >100GB only to download it all again?)

Maybe I'm better culling my LRC catalog back to folders where I know I have lots of edits (vs family etc) and migrate that. Then manually add all the other photos?
Finally - any tips for good printing apps if Iose the ability to print from LRC?

Thanks.

I rarely if ever print. There are a couple of professional print houses which are connected directly to Lr in the cloud. In the last year, I have not done any new books; or prints for photo frames.

Otherwise, for the extremely rare time I have needed to print (e.g. daughter's art project), I just use Windows Photos to print the image.

Tim

Yes would appreciate details. Thanks.

To wipe what you have in the cloud completely. I know there are a few easier ways to do some of these steps. @Victoria Bampton might be able to simplify this.
Note: Be VERY careful doing this. This wipes everything in the Cloud. If you have Classic set to sync, check with someone who knows how that works. I never did enough Classic sync stuff to know what proper warnings to give.

To wipe everything in the cloud and start over:
  1. Launch Lr Desktop. Select all images (press "g" until square photo view, press control A, hit delete), choose to delete all images.
  2. Manually delete all folders/albums
  3. Log into Lr web interface. Select deleted images, at the top there is a delete forever option. Make sure to delete everything.
  4. Close Lr Desktop.
  5. Delete the two Lightroom CC folders located here: C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Adobe
You can then restart the Lr Desktop, and migrate again.

Tim

Unfortunately I missed your reply. Thought I'd covered the bases, although I didn't do a trial (could kick myself). Went ahead and changed my package not knowing that I'd only get to go back to classic just once.
The migration started OK although many metadata errors (despite clearing errors in classic).

The upshot was that I seem to have ended up with two lrcats (same name) trying to sync. So the system has stuck on upload pending.
Do you know if I can clear the present effort and restart migration?

Thanks

I know you can migrate again. But before you do so; let's get someone who knows Classic better than I do, and make sure nothing gets lost!
To help them, list the steps in detail on what you did, and any prompts. My guess, Classic created a new catalog due to a version upgrade first. But this is only a guess on my part.

@clee01l @Johan Elzenga @Jim Wilde @Victoria Bampton
Help! Trev is asking questions about Classic that I do not know a good way to help answer!

Tim

I know you can migrate again. But before you do so; let's get someone who knows Classic better than I do, and make sure nothing gets lost!
To help them, list the steps in detail on what you did, and any prompts. My guess, Classic created a new catalog due to a version upgrade first. But this is only a guess on my part.

@clee01l @Johan Elzenga @Jim Wilde @Victoria Bampton
Help! Trev is asking questions about Classic that I do not know a good way to help answer!

Tim
Thanks, since I wrote this and my PC was closed down overnight, I decided to try again this morning and it’s syncing fine, but of course it’s slow with something like 21000 photos to upload.
It is a bit confusing in some ways, because I clearly did not delete the albums I already had in the cloud.
So I will just have to be patient for a few days until syncing is completed then re-examine my album and set structure which currently shows quite a bit of duplication.
Fingers crossed
Thanks

To wipe what you have in the cloud completely. I know there are a few easier ways to do some of these steps. @Victoria Bampton might be able to simplify this.
Note: Be VERY careful doing this. This wipes everything in the Cloud. If you have Classic set to sync, check with someone who knows how that works. I never did enough Classic sync stuff to know what proper warnings to give.

To wipe everything in the cloud and start over:
  1. Launch Lr Desktop. Select all images (press "g" until square photo view, press control A, hit delete), choose to delete all images.
  2. Manually delete all folders/albums
  3. Log into Lr web interface. Select deleted images, at the top there is a delete forever option. Make sure to delete everything.
  4. Close Lr Desktop.
  5. Delete the two Lightroom CC folders located here: C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Adobe
You can then restart the Lr Desktop, and migrate again.

Tim
An easier way is to just log into lightroom.adobe.com on the web. Go to your avatar on the top right and select "Account Info" and there is an option there to "DELETE LIBRARY". Be careful, there is no recovery!

I rarely if ever print. There are a couple of professional print houses which are connected directly to Lr in the cloud. In the last year, I have not done any new books; or prints for photo frames.

Otherwise, for the extremely rare time I have needed to print (e.g. daughter's art project), I just use Windows Photos to print the image.

Tim
Thanks Tim, good to have these things figured out.

An easier way is to just log into lightroom.adobe.com on the web. Go to your avatar on the top right and select "Account Info" and there is an option there to "DELETE LIBRARY". Be careful, there is no recovery!
Went to account info, but there isn’t a Delete library option that I can see

What does it show when you click on Account Info? It should look like this:

Acc Info.png

You should be in your browser, logged into the LrWeb app at lightroom.adobe.com.

You should be in your browser, logged into the LrWeb app at lightroom.adobe.com.
I will give this a go this afternoon now. I just have to make sure the current upload still in pause is stopped. I understand that the migrate actually creates an upload file temporary , should I locate the one from my previous attempt and delete it? Many thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back