• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Any news on Lr Perpetual crashing on facial recognition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbeck

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I've spent some time searching and reviewing posts regarding this (e.g., Here and here) Unfortunately, and disappointingly, the perpetual license isn't really perpetual....

I may or may not pay the monthly fee that Adobe is apparently wanting to extort from us, but I want first to see if there's a workaround that I've missed.

As far as I know, face recognition is from another developer than Adobe. There is is no support anymore for this.

I've spent some time searching and reviewing posts regarding this (e.g., Here and here) Unfortunately, and disappointingly, the perpetual license isn't really perpetual....

I may or may not pay the monthly fee that Adobe is apparently wanting to extort from us, but I want first to see if there's a workaround that I've missed.
I had same problem. Finally bit the bullet and got monthly subscription. You are right, perpetual is not perpetual. They get you frustrated.

I am not aware of any editing software where perpetual means the software will be updated forever.

… You are right, perpetual is not perpetual. They get you frustrated.
Perpetual means that you have a license to that version of software in perpetuity. It has never meant that the software would work in perpetuity.

In the long history of Computer software, Leasing has always been the norm. In the DOS era of early personal computing, licensing of a particular version of software became a new model for software delivery. While it lasted for about 40 years, this model of software delivery did not provide the revenue stream to provide for a viable company.
In the 1980s the most popular Word Processing software in the world was an app called WordStar. If your computing experience goes back that far, you might own a license to that product. As Windows machines became common, WordPerfect became the leader in perpetually licensed word processing software. Microsoft started bundling a complete office suite with proprietary file formats and soon succeeded in replacing WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3. Lotus and VisiCalc are no longer in business but their perpetual licenses are still out there owned by some one but no longer usable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good points to all of you on the "perpetual" rant. I started this thread hoping that there was some way to retrieve my extensive facial recognition database. I don't know why this is important to me given that I don't recall actually using the utility to search my Lr catalogs. I usually use keywords to do that. It's just the novelty of it I guess - and it did work remarkably well.

If I yield to the Adobe monthly fee, would the subscription version recognize my facial recognitions?

Perpetual means that you have a license to that version of software in perpetuity. It has never meant that the software would work in perpetuity.

In the long history of Computer software, Leasing has always been the norm. In the DOS era of early personal computing, licensing of a particular version of software became a new model for software delivery. While it lasted for about 40 years, this model of software delivery did not provide the revenue stream to provide for a viable company.
In the 1980s the most popular Word Processing software in the world was an app called WordStar. If your computing experience goes back that far, you might own a license to that product. As Windows machines became common, WordPerfect became the leader in perpetually licensed word processing software. Microsoft started bundling a complete office suite with proprietary file formats and soon succeeded in replacing WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3. Lotus and VisiCalc are no longer in business but their perpetual licenses are still out there owned by some one but no longer usable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Clee is right on so many points here. One time, the CFO of my company told me that Wall Street liked subscription pricing better than one time purchases precisely because future revenue streams could be forecasted better.

IBM used to only provide mainframe software on a monthly license.

Old software in general can't be guaranteed to run on the newest systems, with the newest hardware.

If you still have a working CP/M or DOS computer, you can still run your 40 year old version of Wordstar. That would be good. Support for modern printers, all of which use USB rather than serial or parallel ports, not so good. However, there is no way to get updates for Wordstar.

Even some software that runs fine on older versions of Windows won't run on the newest version of Windows. That's just the way of the world.

If I yield to the Adobe monthly fee, would the subscription version recognize my facial recognitions?
Yes of course. After installing Classic, on first launch it should detect your current LR6 catalog and upgrade it (by creating a separate updated version, leaving the original catalog intact). The upgraded V10 catalog would have all the data that was in the original catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back